Dual Processors

dpcraig

Hmmm... I believe it to be highly unlikely, as all of the 9x series of OS's had no built-in support for dual procs. And I really can't see someone attempting to reverse engineer the code to make an os that is in the sunset of its life support dual procs. Better off just upgrading to 2k or XP.

I am just trying to stretch things out until 64bit takes off, before I spend money on a new OS.

Thought I'D see how a pair of the old P3's would work together.

dpcraig.

I understand streaching things out. I have 2 "servers" that are dual 933 and 1.0gig respectively, running server 2ks with no probs. 9x was never meant to be an OS that would take advantage of multiple processors, as it was marketed to consumers primarily. And if you are looking at going to Win2k, better hurry. I know Micro$oft is pulling Windows NT, 2k and 1 or 2 other things from MSDN subscribers, so I would imagine that the same will apply to the retail outlets. Best of luck to you and your endeavors!

None of the 9x/ME OSes support more than 1 CPU.

You need either XP Pro, XP 64-bit, 2003 or Vista to take advantage of hyperthreading, dual core or multiple CPUs.

Or install Red Hat, Mandrake, SUSE or Novell Linux. ;)

I know Micro$oft is pulling Windows NT, 2k and 1 or 2 other things from MSDN subscribers, so I would imagine that the same will apply to the retail outlets. Best of luck to you and your endeavors!
NT & Win2k has been pulled out of retail channel already (even before stopping MSDN access)! Edited by prathapml

I know Micro$oft is pulling Windows NT, 2k and 1 or 2 other things from MSDN subscribers, so I would imagine that the same will apply to the retail outlets. Best of luck to you and your endeavors!
NT & Win2k has been pulled out of retail channel already (even before stopping MSDN access)!

oh well. too bad for NT4 & W2k users. I believe Win2000 is now in extended support mode but Win2000 should also support hyperthreading.