WinXP update.exe and Win2K

jawz65

I was in the process of building a slipstreamed WinXP Pro installation for some of our computers and in the process discovered an annoying limitation. The computer I use is running Win2kSP4 and it seems that Microsoft in their 'wisdom', do not allow "update.exe" from the WinXP Service pack to run under Win2K, presumeably to prevent people from inadvertantly updating their Win2K installations with WinXP updates. "update.exe" runs, but it returns immediately without doing anything and without any error messages (thanks Microsoft :angry: )

It means that in order to build a slipstreamed WinXP installation, you must build it on a computer running WinXP, a bit annoying if you maintain multiple installation sources on a single computer.

I haven't tried running "update.exe" from the Win2K service packs on a computer running WinXP yet, but I don't expect the situation to be any different.

John Wilson

Hi,

If you want to udpate your WinXP setup with SP2 slipstream, just extract the ....SP2.exe and then run from the command line update.exe /integrate:<Path to XP i386 folder> This will do your job. This method is independent of OS(whether u run onWin2k, or Win9x,....doesn't really matter)