Disk read error with large clusters..(8192k) Win2k3 Install

banshee28

Ok, I FINALLY GOT WIN2K3 WORKING using nlite RC1 and Nvidia 6.69 drivers per Fernando's recommendations :thumbup

Then I needed to change my cluster size (yes, I "needed to" lol) and I was able to change it to 8192k on the raid0 array (C drive). I then started the nlite cd and ran setup. Windows seen the array fine, and installed on the C Drive first partition. After coping all the files, it rebooted, then I got a "A Disk read error occured - press ctrl-alt-del to reboot" :realmad:

This was working fine before, but now something is not right?

I have it set to boot from HD after the CD...Nothing has changed since it worked fine before a few hours ago?

Edited by banshee28

Ok I searched a little and found out that this is not nLite problem.

Here is the solution, if someone confirms we could arrange some option...

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showpost.php?p=428277&postcount=17

That post refers to XP w/SP2. I am running Win2k3 SP1. I thought I would do the same and use the recommendations from pre-SP1. Well after doing that with an old Win2k3 disc I found, it did not work. However, I am not too sure the quality of that disc, so I will get a "good" copy of Win2k3 tomorrow and try again.

Camarade_Tux:

I actually used BartPE but used the native cmd line to format it.....So no 3rd party tols involved there :}

I think the formating is fine, its just Win2k3 with SP1??

It's possible that the "bad" files have changed on w2k3.

An other possibility is that win2k3 even without SP1 can't install on such a system.

Humm, what ?

Win2003 R2 ?

Toolstore ?

Shipped in 2 to 3 weeks ?

:w00t:

:hello:

PS : what' your mobo ?

A-bit ?

Hey bud....Thats a good question as Win2k3 might not work at all, or it might have diff files that were changed with SP1.....I have not found an orig Win2k3 CD yet...

I dont have R2 yet ;) Not sure if that would work, but it would be nice to have...

Using a DFI Ultra MB with Nvidia NF4 chipset.... B)

In fact, you'd only need 3 files from R2.

Now, the hardest, find somebody to send them to you. :D

Are you saying that R2 will work fine by itself, and\or if I copy only those files? I did not know R2 was known to work?

I guess I will start "looking around for it" .... :whistle:

I came across this problem a bit back when I tried to increase my cluster size on an XP SP2 system. It has nothing to do with nlite at all. Apparently Microsoft changed one of the boot files (NTLDR I think), and it now only recognises 4k clusters. Presumably the same change would apply on both XP SP2 and 2K3 SP1.