Is there a way to.......

phatcat42141

O.K. First I have called Microsoft and asked this question and they didn't know what or if it could be done.

What I was wondering is if I can check what version of Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition I have on the disk without installing it first?

I haven't got the case it came in anymore but just the disk and I don't know if I should upgrade my server with it or just wait. Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

You can determine the version from the Volume label of the disc, as well as the \i386\setupp.ini file.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=889713

Not sure who you talked to within Microsoft, but that's the public KB article.

Thank You that helped a lot. I talked with thier supposed "Help/Support Desk" of course they said it was going to cost me a whooping $245.00 per request!!!! Gee now I see how Bill Gates became so rich!

of course they said it was going to cost me a whooping $245.00 per request!!!! Gee now I see how Bill Gates became so rich!

It'll cost you $245 a request because you'd talk to people like me, who are real support technicians, not just a sales/routing desk. B)

of course they said it was going to cost me a whooping $245.00 per request!!!! Gee now I see how Bill Gates became so rich!

It'll cost you $245 a request because you'd talk to people like me, who are real support technicians, not just a sales/routing desk. B)

still its a rip of!

Why give MS no support? they can make two teams, 1 for the normal user and 1 for the advance user.

you pay around the 80-150 dollar for XP and no service :realmad:

If you buy an OEM copy of Windows (or get Windows with your PC), you don't get free support from Microsoft. You either support it yourself, call the vendor who sold you the PC, or you pay $245 and talk to Microsoft. Or, you buy a full retail product and get a certain number of free incident support requests. That's one of the myriad reasons OEM versions of Windows are cheaper.