[Help] - SP2 installation bug

Tibibs

Hi!

I tried to integrate XP SP2 on a dell OEM CD, and the installation bug so, I downloaded on emule a generic version, modified with nlite, and during the installation, windows asks me my product id, I enter my product key (whiwh is write on the certificate) and I've an error message said the key is not valid, but it's an original key!! Each copy of windows have an alone key? Also, how to integrate the SP2 in my Dell CD without error?

thank's in advance

PS: sorry for my english but I'm french

Title Edited - Please follow new forum rules from now on

-- Martin L

Edited by Tibibs

The version of Windows you received with your Dell computer was an OEM CD, and more specifically, it was an OEM CD that is specifically for use on Dell PC's. The version you downloaded (possibly not entirely legally, I might add) from emule is likely an MSDN or VLK version of Windows; and since keys from different versions of Windows (OEM vs MSDN vs VLK) are not compatible, it won't work - the Windows setup routine doesn't know what type of key yours is, but it does know that it isn't a VLK or MSDN key. Therefore, it fails.

The problem is that your original Windows CD from Dell has a few custom files on it, and you'll likely not be able to slipstream it yourself due to files on your Windows XP CD being different from ones in the SP2 update, which causes the update to fail. You'll need to contact Dell directly to get a SP2 Windows XP CD, or you'll have to legally purchase and install another copy of Windows from a retail or online outlet.

There is no "fix" for what you're doing, because technically nothing is "broken" here. Both versions of the Windows XP CD's you have are working the way they were designed by Microsoft - you need the right key, with the right CD. If you buy a PC preloaded with Windows from an OEM, you get a PC manufacturer-specific OEM copy of Windows that may have trouble doing things like slipstreaming (it is not something that is supported on a PC vendor's OEM version of Windows).

And to head off your next question, no, there's no (legal) way around it either. Contact Dell and get a new CD (and likely pay for shipping costs), or purchase a non-PC manufacturer OEM version of Windows from another third party vendor.

Edited by cluberti