[Question] - Minimize OE6 to Tray

spacesurfer

Is there a way of minimizing Outlook Express to the system tray like you can with Outlook 2003?

I've seen the tweaks for Outlook 2003, but it would be nice to do same for Outlook Express (without using third-party programs of course).

Thanks.

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

Edited by Zxian

@spacesurfer

You're correct, the thread shoudn't have been moved.

There's a way with third party utilities. Google.com and the query

"minimize to tray" "outlook express"

will pleasantly surprise you :) As you see, perhaps, the thread shoudn't have been created LOL

Unfortunately, there's no way w/o third party utilities.

Edited by VAD

@spacesurfer

As you see, perhaps, the thread shoudn't have been created LOL

Unfortunately, there's no way w/o third party utilities.

I know, I did search google and found many apps. But was wondering if anyone knew of a way without third-party apps. That's the only reason I created it.

Anyways, I ended up downloading an app that does the job for any windows. It's called AllToTray. You simply check "Minimize to Tray" in the right click menu of the app on taskbar and it will minimize to tray instead of the taskbar.

Good thing about it is you select which ones to minimize to tray.

What Microsoft needs to do is add a minimize to tray button on the title bar along with minimize, restore, and close!! That would be the ultimate.

Minimizing apps to tray is not on the top of the MS's priorities list :) I use Windows PowerPro. Minimizing to tray is just 0.01% of it's abilities, and can be assigned the way you want. I have it with right click on Minimize [_] button. And here's what I set to the middle mouse click on window caption

ppromenu.gif

The configuration of PowerPro is not pretty straight forward, but it takes just under 2mb of memory.

Edited by VAD

Gads I feel stupid because I don't understand the reason for this thread at all.

Why not just minimize it to the taskbar?

OE6 can be minimized any ol' time you want by just clicking the little underscore symbol in the upper right hand corner of the window. Like any other windows program.

Or it can be run minimized from the 'git-go' by setting up the shortcut to "Run Minimized".

I really don't see the need to open a forum thread to do that simple thing.

C'mon guru's .....what am I missing here?

I don't care what forum its put in....sounds like a really useless question to me.

cheers

Edited by Andromeda43

Why not just minimize it to the taskbar?

Because sometimes you want a program running but not occupy the taskbar.

Any program can be minimized to the taskbar! But what if you have 20 windows open? It would be nice to minimize certain programs you want to keep running (instead of closing it out) and get it out of the way--the perfect place for it is the system tray.

It's a nuisance that I have to close and reopen Outlook Express to check email. It's a time saver to place it in the system tray.

If minimizing to system tray was not a convenience, why would they have a registry tweak for MS Outlook 2003?

BTW, I was wondering if there was a registry tweak (not a program), but it seems a registry tweak does not exist. I found plenty of programs however.

I hope that answers your question Andromeda.

(Oh yeah, let me mention that if Outlook Express is kept open, it periodically checks for new messages. That's why it's faster to keep it open.)

Edited by spacesurfer