Will MCE work on an nforce2 motherboard?

There are no special hardware requirements for XP MCE.

By ATI there is a separate section for Windows XP MCE but the drivers you can download there are the same as the normal XP drivers. So I guess the normal XP drivers from nvidia will do as well.

Officially you need a graphic card with DirectX 9 support to have a Media Center and maybe they only exist for nForce4, that's why there are only drivers for the latter with an MCE label.

• 2 months later...
There are no special hardware requirements for XP MCE.

Thats not entirely true... there are certain HW requirements for MCE 2005, the motherboard though is not one of them. What is required is a fully DX9 compliant video card, and a HW mpeg encoder based tuner/capture card.

Hi all,

First of all, there are a few special hardware requirements for MCE as far as video adapter, TV card, and sometimes remote. As far as motherboard chipsets and drivers go for them, think of Windows XP MCE the same as Windows XP Professional layered over with a few extras. In fact, that is the OS at MCE's base. Alot of people don't realize this and see MCE as a completely different animal until they go to Windows Update. It will have updates for both Windows XP Pro and MCE listed together. As far as the other hardware, if your nforce 2 board has the integrated Geforce 4, you should be fine as far as video adapter goes, although, you can go better with a newer non-onboard video card and save your RAM. As far as TV card, any WinTV will work, also, any new TV card made from 2005 and up. I'd recommend the ASUS WiFi TV card which combines wireless a/b/g networking, FM radio, and an HDTV TV input. I've seen it usually for $90 bucks, but for all the things it combines, it's worth it. As far as remote, my theory is go with what you see or have already seen work. What I mean by this is the remote featured in the MCE 2003 and 2004 introduction video. It is a Philips/Gateway remote #8006551 and reciever. You can find these all over e-bay and all versions of MCE already have the drivers for it, or you can download newer drivers from Gateway.

Anyway, I hope all this helps,

Starkiller5.

Edited by Starkiller5