Remote Desktop

For some reason, I can't connect to my computer by using an address I have that is updated with my IP address. I have the right port open, 3389, and have Remote Desktop enabled. I've already tried doing it from school, from my dad's office, and from a 56k modem on my laptop...Still not connecting...Any ideas?

couple things to check:

Firewalls.. make sure they are turned off.. or have the ports mapped... on both machines

Check to make sure both machines allow for remote desktop in the system properties of My computer..

make sure you are using the correct IP addresses...

Make sure you are using the correct username and password, and if you are on a domain, make sure the domain information is correct..

:)

I unblocked port 3389 on my router/firewall to point to my computer (192.168.*.*).

I'm only allowing Remote Desktop on one computer.

I'm using the correct IP addresses.

I know my own username and password, and there is no domain.

No, XPerties. I just realized that I can access my computers from any computer on my network, but can't access them from anywhere outside the network. Maybe it has something to do with my router's firmware?

I have a BEFSR81 Linksys Router with the latest firmware.

Accessing web services outside the network... usually its done differently than port forwarding. You might have to DMZ your port 3389 for outside access.

Also check your webserver software to make sure it isn't only for internal LAN access. Apache has such a setting, but I don't know for IIS

Yah when I had sedative controlling my server a few years back while I was gone I had to open my router completely open on that PC for it to work. We had troubles for days till I finially said freak it and just opened it up totally

Guys, its OK! I completely wiped out my router (by accident) and couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I called up Linksys and they told me what to do. And at the end of the call, I asked them two questions, one of which had to do with how to allow Remote Desktop on the computers. Disable "Block WAN Request". :) Thanks for all your help! :rolleyes:

Whoa! Windows is fux0red! Just to check if my computer would connect using remote desktop, I connected to the domain that points to my computer (the same one that I was on) and it actually connected. Isn't Windows supposed to tell you that you are working on that workstation already and you can't be connected to it remotely? Then it froze and I had to restart the computer... :)