Map desktop to network drive

kocoman

If this is on a domain there is a group policy for this called Folder Redirection.

If it's not part of a domain, then a simple regedit will do you good. Look here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

You should be able to change the data in the keys in UNC paths no problem. Export the changes to a reg file and you can apply them at boot to make sure they are applied at all times. I didn't this at a previous job, and it worked very well. I had a simple batch file that was inserted into the startup routine, and all it did was silently import the custom reg settings...a poor mans Folder Redirection.

• 2 weeks later...
kocoman, do you want to map your \Documents and Settings\user\desktop folder to another machine over the network, or do you want this directory to be a drive letter locally?

I have a Samba share at \\192.168.0.1\abc$

I have a few windows machine

ie:

1) win98 desktop has c:\windows\desktop that I want it to map to \\192.168.0.1\abc$

2) Win2000 pro C:\Documents and Settings\A that I want it to map to \\192.168.0.1\abc$

3) Notebook nt4 c:\winnt\desktop that I want it to map to \\192.168.0.1\abc$

Lets say I want to save some files on PC 1) to desktop, then I will have access to it on the 3) PC also.

Thanks