DOS (6.xx, 95, 98, ME) Multi-boot Menu's

ButlerKevinD

Does anyone here remember the old DOS x.xx mutli-boots menus?? You had to configure your autoexec.bat and config.sys with different headers for it to work. Would anyone happen to have any docs or pdf's (hopefully that wouldn't be considered warez) that they could share with me?? I've trolled Google, and so far no luck finding all the info I need. Looking primarily for all the variables that are allowed in the two files. Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty sure MDGx's (previously AXCel216) TIPS download has dos boot menu's in some of the sample autoexec.* config.* files. It may be named something else now, last time I downloaded it was 2002

W95-11D.ZIP, somewhere on www.mdgx.com

Examples of multi-boot autoexec.bat, autoexec.dos, config.sys + config.dos are part of W9511D.EXE + W95-11D.ZIP [offline reading]:

http://www.mdgx.com/95.htm

*.DOS files are used by MS-DOS 6.xx [renamed to *.BAT + *.SYS respectively].

To learn how to tweak autoexec.bat + config.sys files, please read MEMORY.TXT, also part of W95-11D.EXE + W95-11D.ZIP.

MSDOS.SYS guide:

http://www.mdgx.com/msdos.htm

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx

One can get the DOS 6.xx documentation from any Windows 9x cdrom. Look in the oldmsdos directory for the following files: QBASIC.*. HELP.*

When you run help.com, you get the MS-DOS 6.22 help file, which has examples of how to create a multi-boot config.sys and autoexec.bat.

It works under Windows 9x as well.

W

One can get the DOS 6.xx documentation from any Windows 9x cdrom. Look in the oldmsdos directory for the following files: QBASIC.*. HELP.*

When you run help.com, you get the MS-DOS 6.22 help file, which has examples of how to create a multi-boot config.sys and autoexec.bat.

It works under Windows 9x as well.

W

It's a very reliable and convenient way to boot Linux (and FreeBSD / NetBSD) too.

As all these systems support FAT, installing a new kernel is a simple matter of

copying.

goto %config%

:Linux
C:\SYSTEM\LOADLIN\LOADLIN.EXE C:\bzImage root=/dev/sda3 ro parport=0x378,7 parport=0x278,9 noisapnp=1 sb=0x220,5,1,5

Edited by somewan