Program Files (x86) location selection?

doctor_z

The option to put the Program Files folder is a great feature of nLite, however there appears to be a slight problem with the x64 windows version.

There does not appear to be an option to select the location for this folder, and the normal option doesn't seem to include the 32 bit folder. I've tried a few installs and they all nicely change the 64 bit folder but leave the settings for its 32 bit counterpart at default.

After searching the forum here turned up nothing I decided to make a topic about it, to see if it really is nLite, or that something has gone haywire on my end.

So either way if it isn't in nLite I'd be much obliged if it was added to a to-do list or something, and if it is, I guess I could use some support :)

Thank you!

x64 does have a bug changin the progdir location

it doesnt change 2 entries in registry

this is the solution for me:

in winnt.sif i paste

[unattended]

ProgramFilesDir = "D:\Programs"

CommonProgramFilesDir = "D:\Programs\Common"

ProgramFilesDir(x86) = "D:\Programs(x86)"

CommonProgramFilesDir(x86) = "D:\Programs(x86)\Common"

then in GUI setup(right be4 hardwaredetection step) i open regedit and change the followin strings

2 of them does have the "standard" location (stupid x64 bug)...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

CommonFilesDir = D:\Programs(x86)\Common

CommonFilesDir (x86) = D:\Programs(x86)\Common

ProgramFilesDir = D:\Programs(x86)

ProgramFilesDir (x86) = D:\Programs(x86)

all should have the same location

Edited by Weed

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've had access to a computer at all, but now I'm here again, and thanks for the info!

I'd figured the bit in winnt.sif myself, too, but I am moderately puzzled by that bit about regedit during setup... to be exact I am unsure as to how I should open regedit during any stage in setup, let alone exactly before the hardware detection. Could you (or anyone) give me a link or explanation or anything to help me out here?

Thanks again!

• 6 months later...
PS. this will be fixed with the upcoming nlite version

has it ? because I haven't seen it in 1.0 yet

I might have missed it

reinstalling windows in progress, so I guess I'll see

Hi,

I just "finished" trying to install w2k3-x64 but it failed (probably due to the nforce raid but I think I have it sorted out)

the real problem is with the programfilesdir

like to original poster states, nLine doesn't deal with the "programfilesdir(x86)" variable

in an unattended install with an answer file it would be in the [unattended] section

programfilesdir(x86)=C:\path\to\location

what I tried to do with nLite was to set my programfilesdir to c:\usr

( and I would have set my programfilesdir(x86) to c:\usr\x86 )

but since there was no programfilesdir(x86) textbox I was only expecting to have a c:\usr and a "c:\program files (x86)"

but instead I got

c:\Program Files

c:\Program Files (x86)

c:\Program Files (x86)(x86)

c:\USR

c:\usr(x86)

each folders had different things in them

also I'd need to set my commonfilesdir and commonfilesdir(x86) I think

where does nLite put the unattended answer file, maybe I can edit it manually just before I make the iso ?

(the file that has things like UnattendMode=FullUnattended in it)

• 2 years later...
just press SHIFT+F10 in gui mode or STRG+F10, dont remember

command prompt does open and run regedit

PS. this will be fixed with the upcoming nlite version

This doesn't seem to be fixed. It would be really nice if it were fixed in a future version though.

At least I had a chance to fix the registry values myself before installing programs. Netmeeting is in one of those bad folders, though.

iambk, I have a vague memory that TranceEnergy had dealt with this. Please try sending him a PM and see what you can learn and please post here your findings. We have not seen nuhi (nLite owner/author) lately and we probably need to come up with a work around to these kinds of things. Enjoy, John.

iambk, I have a vague memory that TranceEnergy had dealt with this. Please try sending him a PM and see what you can learn and please post here your findings. We have not seen nuhi (nLite owner/author) lately and we probably need to come up with a work around to these kinds of things. Enjoy, John.

I'll do that. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...