Cannot install programs

I've been at this for at least a day and can't get past it. The error just doesn't make sense to me but it might to someone else.

I have reverted to right-out-of-the-box WPI v4.35 so there is no question of interference from customization. I have 2 sample programs in the Install folder. Sample1.CMD and Sample2.EXE.

When I attempt to install, the CMD batch file executes, but the EXE program cannot be found by Windows. The RunOnceEx looks normal. I have tried it using %CDROM% and %wpipath% to no avail. I have tried anything I can think of. Run from CD, HD path, HD root. About the only thing that I haven't tried is a virgin sacrifice to the geek gods and I'm contemplating that next.

Needles to say that I cannot install ANY programs. Any ideas?

The Registry entries:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\00501]

@="CMD Sample"

"2"="CMD /c %wpipath%\\Install\\Sample1.CMD"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\00502]

@="EXE Sample"

"2"="%wpipath%\\Install\\Sample2.EXE"

What is your folder layout? where is your wpi folder located?

At Root. I have an empty HD partition and I put all the files there. I haven't burned an actual CD, but I have created an ISO that I used with with VMWare.

My layout:

Directory of V:\

Name Size Date/Time

Audio <DIR> 2005/11/26 20:42

Common <DIR> 2005/11/26 20:42

Graphics <DIR> 2005/11/26 20:42

Install <DIR> 2005/11/26 20:42

Recycler <DIR> 2005/11/25 13:15

System Volume Information <DIR> 2005/11/21 14:49

Themes <DIR> 2005/11/26 20:42

Tools <DIR> 2005/11/26 20:42

UserManual <DIR> 2005/11/26 20:42

Wpiscripts <DIR> 2005/11/26 20:42

Audio.exe 244 kb 2005/07/26 04:46

Autorun.inf 39 b 2005/07/26 03:52

Copy of WPI.cmd 1,209 b 2005/11/27 20:37

WPI.cmd 1,442 b 2005/11/27 20:56

WPI.hta 3,186 b 2005/08/01 22:09

WPI.ico 117 kb 2005/03/20 00:58

Thank you for the response.

to be honest, the size and date isnt interest.

Understood. I just dumped the printer directory to a text file to report it. But as I mentioned, everything resides in the root directory. This is independent of my WinXP UA setup CD so there is nothing else on the disk. Just the WPI files and folders in the root directory.

As a sidenote, how Do you get the screenshot of the tree?

Learning something new every day...

Here's a screenshot.

I discovered another issue that *may* have something to do with it, although I don't see the connection. I use WinXP Reduced Media Edition and WPI crashes when it tries to initialize the player, unless I turn off the option. Could that have an indirect effect to my immediate problem?

It just doesn't make sense... If the pathing is wrong, it shouldn't be able to run the Sample1 file, which is a batch. So, it can find the Batch file but not the Executable which is in the same directory.

Can someone tell me how the file structure of WPI works? %CDROM% is passed to RunOnceEX and it holds the path to the installation directory, correct? Are the WPI scripts also relative to the same path or something else? The manual is very vague about this particular point and makes troubleshooting impossible.

Thanks for all the help on this, I would like to see this working to conclude my UA installation.

post-45166-1133239291_thumb.jpg

Edited by No6

Here's a strange thing;

I created another entry but instead of installing a program, I used the FILECOPY command to copy the icon to the %CDROM%\Install Directory. It copied the file without a problem.

So, RunOnceEX can run a batch program, copy a file, (so the the path is correct) but it cannot find the EXE file that resides in the same folder. I've never seen this before.