[Error] - My computer will sometimes not start

bobbydazzler

Please can anybody help me with this.

When I switch my computer on sometimes it loads and other times it won't, and it will display this message:

"System32\DRIVERS\isapnp.sys.

I do not have a great deal of knowledge about computers and have absolutely no idea what this means.

Can anybody resolve this for me please

Thank you

Sarah.

By its name it looks to be the ISA Plug and Play driver for windows. I don't know which version of windows your running so I can't help more then that until I know but another thing to look into would be the computer's BIOS. When you turn the computer on it will show some form of a post screen. It will either be a logo or a bunch of text that show the information about the computer. To enter the BIOS setup screen you need to press one of the following, F2, F10, or Delete. Some computers have other keys but these are the mose common. While that screen is showing (either the logo or the text) you need to press one of these keys. If you look at the bottom or about three lines down from the top of the text it will tell you which key to push. After you enter the BIOS setup screen you need to find a setting that says PNPOS or Plug and Play OS and change the value to the oposite of what it is at. (IE if it is enabled disable it and visa versa) This may be the problem but I could be wrong. When your done changing the value press either Escape or goto the exit option. Exit with saving changes and confirm if asked. Now let the computer reboot and see if it continues to happen. If so please post system specs and OS. If you can't figure out what the specs are at least post the OS version.

Good luck and I hope this helps some.

Hatefulsorrow

P.S. PM me if you need more help.

By its name it looks to be the ISA Plug and Play driver for windows. I don't know which version of windows your running so I can't help more then that until I know but another thing to look into would be the computer's BIOS. When you turn the computer on it will show some form of a post screen. It will either be a logo or a bunch of text that show the information about the computer. To enter the BIOS setup screen you need to press one of the following, F2, F10, or Delete. Some computers have other keys but these are the mose common. While that screen is showing (either the logo or the text) you need to press one of these keys. If you look at the bottom or about three lines down from the top of the text it will tell you which key to push. After you enter the BIOS setup screen you need to find a setting that says PNPOS or Plug and Play OS and change the value to the oposite of what it is at. (IE if it is enabled disable it and visa versa) This may be the problem but I could be wrong. When your done changing the value press either Escape or goto the exit option. Exit with saving changes and confirm if asked. Now let the computer reboot and see if it continues to happen. If so please post system specs and OS. If you can't figure out what the specs are at least post the OS version.

Good luck and I hope this helps some.

Hatefulsorrow

P.S. PM me if you need more help.

Hello

Thank you very much for your help, I went through your excellent instructions but no joy, unfortunatly this does not seem to be the problem. I am using Windows XP home edition on my computer. Not sure whether you can further assist knowing this information"!!! I am afraid I do not understand the end of your information... "If so please post system specs and OS. If you can't figure out what the specs are at least post the OS version" Can you please explain. Thank You.

Boot into Safe Mode (press F8 continuously right after turning on the computer and select Safe Mode). Get your Windows XP CD and put it in the CD-drive. When the desktop has loaded (you'll be asked for a confirmation - say Yes), go to Start->Run and type in cmd. In the command line that appears, type in sfc /scannow and press enter. Let the program run. It will scan your system for corrupt or missing system files. Once it has completed, boot normally and visit Windows Update right away and install all updates.

See if that helps the problem.

Heyyyyyyyy.........

Need to perform some steps. Although as mention above windows xp repair or running sfc might help u, If still no go, u can try performing the following steps.

If the ISAPNP.SYS file is still in your C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS folder, the driver is corrupt. Rename the existing file and copy a new version from your WinXP installation CD.

If the file is missing, then all you need to do is copy the file from your WinXP CD to the C:\Windows\System32\dRIVERS folder by typing the expand command: expand [CD drive letter]:\i386\isapnp.sy_ C:\win dows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys.

U need to try these commands in the DOS prompt.To go to the DOS window. Click Start-run-- Cmd.

Surely it will resolve ur issue......

Regards,

Minbugs......