wpi.reg What does this do?

My first look at what appear to be a very useful little prog indeed, seems on first look that it is an advanced alternative for installing apps via the RoE method....

Ive been having a browse through its contents, to understand what it does, and how it does it... as with most things, I like to get a good understanding of them before I implement them...

I am however, a little puzzled by the wpi.reg file...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Styles]"MaxScriptStatements"=dword:ffffffff

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download]

"CheckExeSignatures"="no"

"RunInvalidSignatures"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]

"SaveZoneInformation"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations]

"LowRiskFileTypes"=".zip;.rar;.nfo;.txt;.exe;.bat;.com;.cmd;.reg;.msi;.htm;.html;.gif;.bmp;.jpg;.avi;.mpg;.mpeg;.mo

v;.mp3;.m3u;.wav;"

What does this do exactly...

Thanks

there was a bug a long time ago causing WPI to report an error like. This is a an error causing the script to run slowly do you wish to abort. This would happen and halt the process of applications installing. The reg file stops this error and removes the entrie when WPI exits

Also on a fresh install of windows xp with sp2 every install had a popup asking if you really wanted to install that
I dont get this happening on my current unattended install cd using RoE method of installing stuff, why would this happen during the use of WPI. I dont see what WPI would be doing different, I run .bat, .cmd, .exe, .reg .msi etc from my cd without any warnings/popups.. WPI just installs the same things that my RoE would, in the same way...
But dont worry they are all remove after wpi is done running

So the orignal reg entries are restored?, I see no reg undo, or anything that would reverse this entry... :unsure:

Thanks....

This would definately make my cd more configurable, without the need of a multi OS install disk... it looks fantastic :D

drscouse, you are correct. They are not removed. I have posted here before that leaving these settings on your computer is CRAZY. This is especially true for network admins that use WPI (read stupid end users).

Personally, I do not use the reg file, but I do not use WPI with fresh SP2 installs either. Nor have I tested it.

I am sorry the entries have been added to the NEXT version not this one. here I will post the corespoding changes. Rename the attached as undo.reg and add the following into WPI.cmd:

REM Start WPI and wait for its end

start /wait %windir%\system32\mshta.exe "%CD%\wpi.hta"

REM Undo registry tweak.

regedit /s "%wpipath%\common\undo.reg <--- NOTE AFTER THE WPI.hta has been run.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Styles]

"MaxScriptStatements"=dword:ffffffff

This is to ensure that an error does not pop up during long installs saying this script is causing internet explorer to run slowly do you wish to continue.

Edited by kelsenellenelvian