How to set up Apache

Does anyone have a good tutorial for setting up Apache on Server '03? I found lots that show how to use Virtual Hosts, but I could not access it via my IP address. I know how to set up mysql, php, and the like, just not how to get my site online, instead of locally. Thanks :)

The problem wasnt getting everything working right: I got them all installed and could run all types of files locally (PHP, Java, mySQL tables etc) the problem was Apache not being displayed from an outside source. All I got was the modem's admin page (which was a bad thing to have displayed). Port forwarding was all set up, but Ive got a new modem on order. Can you use Virtual Hosts for hosting a site online (non locally)?

Yes, virtual hosts will display online.

The problem in your case, is that modem's admin page. The new one should fix it.

In some cases, you can change your DSL modem's settings. For example, change it to RFC1483 bridged-mode. After that, you'll have to login to your ISP thru dial-up (just automate it in startup folder, thats not an issue), but the big problem of modem admin page will be solved - the outside world will see your apache (main or virtual hosts) when they visit your IP or domain.

Last one I used was NetServer, which is really slick.
Then check out XAMPP, its even more slick!

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

Yes, virtual hosts will display online.

The problem in your case, is that modem's admin page. The new one should fix it.

In some cases, you can change your DSL modem's settings. For example, change it to RFC1483 bridged-mode. After that, you'll have to login to your ISP thru dial-up (just automate it in startup folder, thats not an issue), but the big problem of modem admin page will be solved - the outside world will see your apache (main or virtual hosts) when they visit your IP or domain.

Thats all I needed to hear. Its a SpeedStream 5200, and after some searching, I read that its a 'crippled' modem ie the port forwarding doesnt work. I picked up a Netopia Cayman 3546-002 ADSL 3500 Modem 4-Port Router for ~$20 on eBay and I will try that out tomorrow night. If it doesnt, then Ill let you know. Thanks again :)

Well it didnt work. Instead of port forwarding on this thing, its got 'pinholes' and you have to set up internal ports and all that fun stuff. My computers IP addy is 192.168.1.1 so I set it to external port:80 internal port:80 internal ip:192.168.1.1 type:tcp Now when I try my local address, or peer address (both given to me by the modem) neither one will show up my website. Im going to try NetServer. Maybe I just set something up wrong.

Another good one is WAMP (Windows Apache Mysql PHP): here.

Does anyone have a good tutorial for setting up Apache on Server '03? I found lots that show how to use Virtual Hosts, but I could not access it via my IP address. I know how to set up mysql, php, and the like, just not how to get my site online, instead of locally. Thanks :)

You also need to open port 80 to public in your router, also you need to know your real IP-adress by going to whatismyip.com .

You can also link that ip-adress to a DynDNS service so people don't need to type your ip everytime they want to view your website

Edited by Martijn

Finally got it set up. (Im hosting it on dialup right now, stupid kid whose house we were going to host it at got in s*** and now we're not allowed :() Anyways, it still didnt like virtual hosts, so I played around with the settings in apache and eventually got it to work. We're getting satellite internet soon (nothing else available) so Itll be much faster once that gets here. By the way, you can check it out at www.blackhatgarcia.com