win32 priority sepration question

J32P

What's the highest # I can set win32priorityseparation to? The highest I've seen is 38. Can I go any higher?While keeping my system safe at the same time.I'm not sure what this does,is it the percentage of time the cpu splits between regular apps and background apps?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had to do a little research on this one:

The relative priority of foreground vs background applications can be set my modifying Win32PrioritySeparation at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl\Win32PrioritySeparation

This type REG_DWORD entry defaults to 2 if the value is not present.

Win32PrioritySeparation determines how much processor time the threads of a foreground process receive each time they are scheduled on a Windows NT workstation processor.

For those that didn't know, I am sure the information above will prove helpful.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Prio

rityControl

or create it if not present: right-click on an empty spot -> select New -> Key -> paste "PriorityControl" (no quotes) into the type-in box -> click OK to save.

Now highlight this key, and in the right hand pane create a new DWORD [REG_DWORD] Value called "Win32PrioritySeparation" (no quotes) -> double-click on it -> check the Decimal box -> type 1 -> click OK to save.

When this baby is set to 1, the foreground (active) application has more CPU power than the background (inactive) apps (if any), and if you set the value to 2, you get even more power to the foreground app:

0 = Foreground and background applications equally responsive.

1 = Foreground application more responsive than background.

2 = Best foreground application response time.

The maximum value allowed is 26 (Hex) or 38 (Decimal).

From what I have gathered you are correct in that 38 (using the decimal notation) is the highest you can go. :)

I have mine set to 38 using hex,I never read that it had to be set to decimal. I've had this setting for months now without any instabilities.

Can you give me the link to where you read that it had to set to decimal @38?