Seriously Frustrated!

I recently found WPI and love it! I have it all configured, minus the actual programs, but I am having a major problem: I can not get the WPI folder copied to the harddrive AND/OR get %CDROM% in [GuiRunOnce] to work.

I think I have it all configured correctly and have read all the documentation and the posts here, but it simply will not launch from the CD.

Here is my image layout:

XPCD

----$OEM$

--------Drivers (for nLite to integrate, nothing for WPI)

--------$1

------------Install

----------------WPI (entire program)

----I386

----Install (where the programs will be)

----Setup (file)

----WIN51 (file)

----WIN51P (file)

----win51p.SP2 (file)

The WIN51 and WIN51P files consists of the word "Windows" (no quotes) only.

The win51p.SP2 file is blank.

No reference to %cdrom%.

winnt.sif:

..........blah blah........

[GuiRunOnce]

Command0=%systemdrive%\dot20\dotnet20.cmd (from nLite not fully compatible)

Command1=%systemdrive%\install\wpi\wpi.cmd

Now, Command0 runs just fine. It finds the scripts on C: and runs it. Great.

But Command1 fails. It tries to look in "C:\install\wpi\wpi.cmd" but it is not there because it was never copied to the harddrive during Windows' installation. From everything I have read, it is supposed to be done automatically.

I have also read on Microsoft's site that using %systemdrive% defaults to the $OEM$\$1\ path, but obviously not.

If I try to use

Command1=%cdrom%\$oem$\$1\install\wpi\wpi.cmd (give it the full path)

it says: Can't find path "%cdrom%\$oem$\$1\install\wpi\wpi.cmd" try again with correct path and name

It doesn't replace %cdrom% with D:\ like it should. %systemdrive% works fine.

If I can get the WPI folder automatically copied the the HD then I could use %systemdrive% just fine. Or if I could get %cdrom% to be recognized I would be in business.

I guess my preference would be to launch it directly from the CD, not have it copied to the harddrive at all. But if I have to at least have wpi.cmd on the hdarddrive, then I need %cdrom% to work.

Someone please straighten me out. I have been wracking my brain for days now. Thank you!

%CDROM% is a variable which could be set in a .cmd but setup or windows dont recognized that variable by default.

but i have one question: WHY do you want to copy this to the harddisk? everything you copied to the harddisk and installs or excute have to be removed after everything, it fragmented your disk, also slowdown your total setuptime.

please install or excute almost everything direct from cd or dvd to win time and space. Dont know why kelsenellenelvian choose this way instead the runonceex way.

i am very unsure why WPI isnt copied. it have to be copied by default.

Let me know if you are interest to my way of WPI. otherwise i shall write everything for nothing.

Edited by SolidasRock

I am only trying to get the WPI folder copied to the harddrive (1.6MB), not the seperate Install folder where the programs are at. They will be installed from the cd/dvd. Or even just copy the wpi.cmd file to the harddrive. I just can't get them to be copied during Windows' installation. They get ignored.

I don't just do:

[Gui RunOnce]

D:\wpi\wpi.cmd

because two of my five computers, and some at my work, have two harddrives, so sometimes the cdrom drive is E: and it would fail. I have considered making seperate winnt.sif files for those computers, but just an extra step I'd like to avoid.

winnt.sif

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
AutoPartition=1
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=No
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=*
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=20
OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
ProductKey=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (editted out)
FullName="Mark Ritter"
OrgName="I.E."
ComputerName=Test

[Display]
BitsPerPel=32
Xresolution=1280
YResolution=1024
Vrefresh=75

[TapiLocation]
CountryCode=1
Dialing=Tone
AreaCode=563

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1
Language=00000409

[Components]
Freecell=Off
Hearts=Off
Minesweeper=Off
Pinball=Off
Solitaire=Off
Spider=Off
Zonegames=Off

[SystemRestore]
CheckpointCalendarFrequency=2
CheckpointSessionFrequency=10
MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk=3
RestorePointLife=10

[WindowsFirewall]
Profiles=WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]
Mode=0

[Branding]
BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[URL]
Home_Page=http://www.google.com
Search_Page=http://www.google.com

[Proxy]
Proxy_Enable=0
Use_Same_Proxy=1

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=No

[NetAdapters]
Adapter1=params.Adapter1

[params.Adapter1]
INFID=*

[NetClients]
MS_MSClient=params.MS_MSClient

[NetServices]
MS_SERVER=params.MS_SERVER

[NetProtocols]
MS_TCPIP=params.MS_TCPIP

[params.MS_TCPIP]
DNS=No
UseDomainNameDevolution=No
EnableLMHosts=Yes
AdapterSections=params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1

[params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1]
SpecificTo=Adapter1
DHCP=No
IPAddress=192.168.1.130
SubnetMask=255.255.255.0
DefaultGateway=192.168.1.1
DNSServerSearchOrder=12.207.234.13,12.207.235.13
WINS=No
NetBIOSOptions=1

[GuiRunOnce]
Command0=%systemdrive%\install\wpi\wpi.cmd

I took out the .Net 2.0 command and put it in WPI so that WPI is the only Run Once item now. I suppose I could get rid of the Command0 id, but, never know when I will add more.

So the main questions: Was my $OEM$ folder not set up correctly? Anything in $1 SHOULD be copied to the HD, correct?

Still hacking away at it.......thank God for CD-RWs....!

Edited by mritter

*snipped*

Holy s... cow!! :realmad:

so i have write my howto for nothing? there is really no need to copy something to your hdd and remove it when ready. but i dont care. do what you want, it is your disk.

your wrong is this line: OemPreinstall=No have to be set Yes, read this http://unattended.msfn.org/global/reference.htm

hmpf... *unsubscribed from this topic*

Edited by SolidasRock

SolidAsRock, thank you for spotting the OEMPreinstall flag. That was all I was overlooking. I have never used the $OEM$ folder until now; used nLite to inetgrate everything. Now I know.

I am totally surpirsed that Kelsenellenelvian hasn't put that on his Documentation page on the web site. It would save him, and others, a lot of time. Put it right above the [GuiRunOnce] tag:

Make sure in your winnt.sif file you have these tags set accordingly:

[unattended]OemPreinstall=Yes

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\install\wpi\wpi.cmd

Just seeing that OemPreinstall tag would have saved me several hours trial and error and getting to the point of just saying "Screw it....there has to be a better program out there."

But, now that it is all working, I am happy. I will stick with WPI.

I also now use your method of not copying any of the WPI files to the harddrive; use a RunOnceEx.cmd script. That is much easier. But, as before, I was stuck on the OemPreinstall.

One other thing you can do is put cmdow.exe in $OEM$\$$ and it will copy it to c:\windows\system32 so you won't have to specify the %CDROM%\Install\WPI\Tools\cmdow.exe complete path. Just call it direct.

Thanks again........and don't be so angry. :P