AMD FX-60s Found in the Wild

Aegis

NEW ATHLONS ARE imminent. AMD has been sending out the FX-60 chips, dual cores that clock at 2.6GHz.

They are in the hands of at least one INQ friendly box slinger now, so it is only a short period of time before they are in the hands of users.

You give up about 200MHz over a single core, but that small a loss is well worth the added second core.

If AMD follows form, it will be make a slight power increase over the single core, 110w vs 95, and the dual 2.6's will be out early next year in non-FX guise at a 95W power level.

Either way, this will be the gamer chip of choice for some time to come.

Link: http://theinquirer.net/?article=27644

So the FX is going dual core? I remember someone telling me in this thread with authority that FX's will remain single core...it is the X2s that will be dual cores as per the name suggests.

I believe the FX is going dual-core to support the future games that will use two threads.

Two threads? Do you really think a single processor can only run one thread concurrently?

I believe they do ;). I think what you mean are processes? A single processor, unless it has HT Technology or is dual-core, can only have a single thread.

What Aegis said is right. Processors do timeslicing or timesharing or multiplexing or whatever you may want to call it to give the illusion everything is running simultaneously when in fact the computer is spedning a certain amount of time with each process or thread and moving on to another one. It happens so fast we see the illusion of everything running simultaneously.