Repairing .cab files?

TooMuchFreeTime

I'm getting "File xxxxxxxx.xxx not found." errors with my windows98 CD and windows95 CD and

I find it annoying to get these errors because the files ARE in .cab files and can be extracted with winrar and others...

My 98 CD has only two of these errors:

Cardfile.exe <---What is this anyway?

Olepro32.dll <---Setup won't finish without this?

I extracted these files to "win98" folder and it didn't ask them again but my windows 95 CD has lot of these errors so...

1. Is there any way to repair the .cab files?

2. Is there a program that can make .cab files?

3. Extracting contest of .cab files to setup directory would solve the problem but would take more space?

Strangely enough my windowsME CD works fine...

Cardfile.exe is garbage. Olepro32.dll is important.

But to WIn98 they are both important, since they are required files as far as it's concerned.

It's not so much just re-cabbing the files, Win98's cabfiles are spanning cabfiles, if you are familiar with WinRAR it would be like taking 8 Megs of files, and making 1.44MB Spanned rar's

You will wind up with 6 rar files 1.44MB or less in size.

Windows 98 cabs (though not all of them), are spanned, so to unpack a single .cab file multiple undamaged cab files are required, as data is stored throughout.

IF the cabfile in question is not a spanned file, then you could use cabarc.exe or makecab.exe (from a command prompt) to rebuild the cabfile. Both can be obtained from either the "IE 6 Took Kit" (ieak6.exe) or Microsofts Cab sdk (cabsdk.exe)

I use freeware CabPack to create cabs. When I take care of spanned archives then there is no problen to omit unreferenced files from cabs WIN98_21 .. WIN98_xx. I do get error messages when I modify Precopy files, however.

To create unreferenced files simply extract INFs from Precopy2.cab and edit them. Omit unnecessary files from Copy sections. Setup does not unpack these INFs from archives if found outside. Have got some ideas from 98lite and mindows files.