XP - no sound

Clarry

Strange one here. Just built a machine, XP pro loaded. Loaded motherboard drivers including sound (C-Media) and all drivers load OK. When prompted to reboot from driver installation disk, I get the Windows Logging Off 'chime' - so I know drivers are in and speakers work. However, when machine does reboot I dont get any sound - either from logging on or using a music CD etc. Seems like something is disabling the drivers, muting sound or something. Looked in Device Manager - all seems OK. Do notice that I dont get the volume icon in task bar and that on 'Volume control' on Device Manager (or Sounds & Audio, cant recall) I am missing SndVol32.exe. Now this could be causing problem but I'm not so sure as it cant be there on log-off after installing drivers when I DO get sound. Anything I need to check on boot up/log-on which can effectively mute or disable my audio?

Thanks

Tried Vistaboby's idea but following the path he gives I only get an option for 'Windowa Media Player' so looks like I may be missing something. Is this what you were alluding to Aegis? I'm still struggling a bit here guys. Thanks

HI.

CLARRY.

you can try following.

start>run>and input sndvol32.exe.the sndvol32.exe is volume control .

the other way to find sndvol32.exe

my computer>local disk(which you install system)>windows>system32>find sndvol32.exe in the system32 folder.

enjoy

Edited by VISTABOBY

Thanks to all for the advice. It turned out that XP somehow was corrupted and I couldnt get to the Volume Control panel (only had Windows Media as an option). So I reloaded XP, got the Volume Panel and discovered the Wave mute button was checked. Unchecked and voila - it worked. So this one can be closed out. Thanks again.