Upgrade to Win2K3 Server....

csl1010

Setup cannot upgrade due to third-party kernel.

Setup cannot upgrade Microsoft Windows on this computer because parts of the current operating system have been replaced by third-party software. You must install a full version of Windows rather than an upgrade.

Is it possible to fix it? thanks! :)

Where are you upgrading from? Win2k I assume?

Third-party Kernels... that's when your kernel files have been replaced and are not the original windows files, this is usually the case when you have applied a skinning program (or other) that's probably modified important files to change the appearance.

Maybe a SFC /Scannow beforehand will do the trick in restoring the original files, then running the upgrade.

Let me know how you get on :)

Maybe a SFC /Scannow beforehand

Where can i get them? thanks! :)

this is a dos command. pull up a dos window and type <SFC /Scannow> the hard part for u is going to be getting to a DOS windows. since i know what u r trying to do, about not being able to log in to a Win2K machine and i guess u r using NTFS i would have to say good luck try to get a DOS command window up. best advise again, wipe everything and reinstall with a clean install.

and yes, its still me w00t

You dont need to go into dos, just run cmd.exe in Windows 2000 and type it in.

he's got some other problems with his system. he cant get into his system for alot of reasons so now he's just try to upgrade to 2K3. he really doesnt want to wipe everything and start other so he's been trying to do work arounds to get it to work. he's just going to end up with a system that is very unstable if he ever gets it running without the help of a clean install.

I must have installed Windows 2003 for the fourth time already...You get used to doing it if you do it a lot...I just don't understand how Longhorn, some people say, installs so fast, but Win2k3 doesn't...They should've made Win2k3 use the same install as Longhorn so it installs faster...

I must have installed Windows 2003 for the fourth time already...You get used to doing it if you do it a lot...I just don't understand how Longhorn, some people say, installs so fast, but Win2k3 doesn't...They should've made Win2k3 use the same install as Longhorn so it installs faster...

why? Windows Server 2003 is only meant to be installed once. It won't need to be formatted every month because it isn't like a workstation OS where you install a lot of junk everyday.

You dont need to go into dos, just run cmd.exe in Windows 2000 and type it in.

he's got some other problems with his system. he cant get into his system for alot of reasons so now he's just try to upgrade to 2K3. he really doesnt want to wipe everything and start other so he's been trying to do work arounds to get it to work. he's just going to end up with a system that is very unstable if he ever gets it running without the help of a clean install.

I see that, but sfc only works when it is launched from NT (from the exact same installation that is to be repaired).

csl1010, have you tried running in safe mode? Press F8 when you see the boot screen.