Is there a prog to find mp3s on network worskstations?

ceez

Zup fellow msfn'ers!!!

I dont know if this is the right forum, but it has to do with a windows 2003 network! :)

Our network is growing and people are somewhat abusing of downloading mp3's with itunes to their workstations. We need to have a way to show the owner of the company the amount of mp3's that are on the pc's and network. Trying to prove the point that is time to tighten' up and stop playing mr nice guys!

So I was wondering if there's a simple app that can scan the network pc's to just look for mp3's and then point the location and if possible total file size.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ceez

:thumbup

So I was wondering if there'shttp://www.msfn.org/board/style_images/msfn/folder_rte_images/email.gif

Insert Email a simple app that can scan the network pc's to just look for mp3's and then point the location and if possible total file size.

A quick freshmeat turned up several apps:

mp3Spider (Java, but very old and apparently nonfunctional)

FemFind (Linux/Unix backend, Windows Frontend)

Seek42 (Linux/Unix)

Fast File Search (Linux/Unix)

SMBSpider (Linux/Unix)

PySMBSearch (Linux/Unix, web frontend)

UntzUntz (Linux/Unix, web frontend)

and a windows one, recommendd by seek42:

Dr. StrangeSearch heh. heh. hehehe.

I'm trying a few out for the heck of it.

Edited by mjc

mjc, thanks for the links. I am only left with 1 option since most seem to be unix/linux based. I am going to show the boss the mp3spider and see what he thinks about it...what do you mean by it being "nonfunctional"? Have you tried it?

Here a vbs script that will search the local drives for MP3 files this also can be made to search

network drives.

strComputer = "."

Dim Cnt, Fso, Ts

Set Fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set Ts = Fso.CreateTextFile("MP3.txt")

Ts.WriteLine Space(5) & Date() & Space(5) & Time()

Set colFiles = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from CIM_DataFile Where Extension = 'MP3'")

Cnt = 0

For Each objFile in colFiles

Cnt = Cnt + 1

Ts.WriteLine objFile.Drive & objFile.Path & vbCrLf & objFile.FileName & "." & objFile.Extension &_

vbCrLf & "MP3 Count = " & Cnt

Next

Ts.WriteLine "Script Completed"

Ts.close

mjc, thanks for the links. I am only left with 1 option since most seem to be unix/linux based. I am going to show the boss the mp3spider and see what he thinks about it...what do you mean by it being "nonfunctional"? Have you tried it?

it didn't want to start correctly for me, further investigation turned up code that had been obsoleted in java 1.4.

dr. strangesearch seems to work and that vbs script might also do the trick.

gunsmokingman,

that script takes a really long time to run.... been running on my machine for 45 minutes before it started returning results... shoudl it take that long? i would assume so since it is going through all files on the machine... but wow.... :o

Here is the time it took to search my hard drives.

3 ide harddrives, 80 gig, 40 gig, 40 gig

MP3 Count = 281

Total Time For Search = 2.12

Script Completed

Added timer function Save as Search_MP3.Vbs
strComputer = "."

Dim Cnt, Fso, Etime,Ftime,Stime, Ts

Stime = Timer()

Set Fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set Ts = Fso.CreateTextFile("MP3.txt")

Ts.WriteLine Space(5) & Date() & Space(5) & Time()

Set colFiles = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from CIM_DataFile Where Extension = 'MP3'")

Cnt = 0

For Each objFile in colFiles

Cnt = Cnt + 1

Ts.WriteLine objFile.Drive & objFile.Path & vbCrLf & objFile.FileName & "." & objFile.Extension &_

vbCrLf & "MP3 Count = " & Cnt

Next

Etime = Timer()

Ftime = Etime - Stime

Ftime = Ftime /60

Ftime = Left(Ftime,4)

Ts.WriteLine "Total Time For Search = " & Ftime

Ts.WriteLine "Script Completed"

Ts.close

Here is a sfx that a hta that has a search for,MP3, WMA, User Selected file type, Plus

I added some internet radio station that play on WMP or Winamp.

This will make a new hta for either Mp3 or Wma and these will then play

each song listed when the button is pushed.

Search File

Edited by gunsmokingman

Well I guess I stirred up an interesting topic.... :)

I have some good news... After endless google searches with different terms I ended at downloads.com where they had a little program called SoundJudgment v2.11. It's 30 days shareware, so use it for what you need it and then delete! :P

You can create a batch file with settings specified on a config file created with the program. Then you can add that script to a logon script or in group policy to scan all local drives. We have about 230 workstations and we had no complaints about anyone with slowdown on the machines with this script running... of course all this is happening without their knowledge! The report can be in txt, csv & html, named with either the computer name, user name or other custom option.

If you're looking into something like we needed I definitely recommend this app. Even though it seems a bit buggy at times. It might pick up a jpg or bmp or skip a couple of mp3's, but the time saver and the fact of knowing how many mp3's are on the network is a great thing.... you can even run it on your servers and point the config file to a share, boy was the IT Director fuming when he saw mp3's on the shares!!! :angry:

Thanks all for your input and thanks gunsmokingman for that that vb script. I'll see if we can put that to use also.

Ceez

ps- it can also search for video files!!!

Edited by ceez