Internet connection sharing

premier69

hey ive got a rather crappy computer running XP sp1 with 2 NIC's one for the internet via adsl telia here in sweden.

the other NIC is supposed to connect my laptop to the crappy xp sp1 machine using a crossover lan cable.

my laptop has win2k and has no problem accepting an internet connection sharing from any other network i connect it to, it has no problem getting a dhcp ip adress and no lan problems what-so-ever.

how do i enable internet connection sharing in winxp? it's easy on win2k and always works but i find the lan managment in xp to be very crappy.

what services has to be enabled in win xp, what setting, in what order and why wont the second nic get assigned a valid ip by the first nic?

its always something along the lines of: 169..... and the repair button as always never works...

Are both NIC cards on the XP machine on the same subnet? Have you tried setting up this system as a "router", putting the two cards on different subnets and starting the routing service? (the laptop would have to be on the same subnet as the NIC card it is plugged into).

For the 2nd subnet you can use any private address space (10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, etc.--different from the subnet of the of 1st NIC), although you may have to give the laptop, and the 2nd NIC card on the XP, a static IP.

By the way, I have never tried this, but just want to offer suggestion.