iTunes using networked music.

snively

Ok here's the deal, I just built a new computer and I wanted my iTunes library on it. I exported Library.xml, and changed all of the directories to the now networked directories. I imported my new Library.xml into iTunes and everything is there; the music, ratings, play counts, etc. The problem I am having is that when iTunes plays a new song (from the networked computer) I get about 4-5 seconds of computer lag. This only happens in iTunes and not in foobar or winamp. I know someone's going to tell me just to use foobar or winamp, but I use the smart playlists in iTunes a lot. The only thing I can think of to help is to speed up network access. Will that work, and how would I go about doing it? Thanks..

Althought you mite not want to, you could try creating the library again from scratch, and if this doesn't solve the problem you can always import your old xml file again.

I used to run my music over a 100Mbit/s network and there was very little lag involved.

Interesting this gets brought up as I start kinda running into these lag probems also.. I just recently started ripping all my cd's onto my computer... I have approached the 20gig mark of music. All my music is stored on a Windows 2003 Standard Server on a RAID 5 drive.

Before I started importing all my CD's iTunes was great.. it was fast.. no lag and worked great over the network. Now that I am at/near 20 gigs.. I too am experiencing a great deal of lag like snively is.

I have tried to completely recreate my library but it still lags.. Is this just too much music or do you have roughly the same amount/more music and not experiencing this lag?

I was accessing ~35Gb of music, mostly mp3 @ 128bps, some at 192bps. The server was a W2kSp4 on an Athlon XP1800, with 512Mb on standard HD, passing thru a router and a switch over cat5 cable. This is all the info that I can give, as I no longer have this setup, the machine blew up and I've changed location as well.