Hide certain services in services.msc

D8TA

I have a few services that Admin users keep stopping and disabling and I am wondering if any one knows of a way to remove them from the services.msc listing. I realize that if they know the service name they could restart them if they have knowledge how to from the command line. But at least if I make them invisible by removing them from the listing they will have a harder time and maybe give up trying to stop and disable these services. I have been looking into the sc command and maybe mask them by using a different name but I would really like to remove them from the list. Any ideas? I cannot find anything on the web to help me accomplish this.

Why not use group policy and define what the services action is (auto, manual, disabled) If you set it in the policy.. all options are greyed out and you cant start/stop the services.. it will only do what Group Policy says to do.

These are all local accounts. Is there a local GPO for this, if so where can I find it? Our environment isn't on AD but plan to move in that directions in about a year.

D8TA.....

on your pc...are you a poweruser,administrator?

is your computer on a domain?

if so...your domain admins probally have the pc locked down.

We have mixed poweruser and administrator. The Power Users cannot disable these services so I am just mainly concerned with the administrators. No, unfortunately the computers aren't on a domain yet. Looking to move towards AD in about a year.

There's no satisfactory solution for admin users on a local machine, but here you can at least restrict the services.mmc from launching at all by local GP.

User Config\Admin temp\Windows Comp\MMC\

Restricted/Permitted Snap-ins

Services > Disabled

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MMC\{58221C66-EA27-11CF-ADCF-00AA00A80033}

Restrict_Run: DWORD = 1

Of course any admin can change this policy back to enabled in gpedit.msc or regedit.