Portable Windows on USB Drive!

MrChris

OK Here goes it!

I have VMWare v5 and I love it a tone. But......

VMware needs to be installed and it is quite a thick application and depending on the PC I am on I may not be able to install vmware for licesening reasons and lack of admin rights on the host box.

I have an external usb exclosure with a 60GB drive in it, powered by USB cable. I would like to be able to walk up to just about any windows pc (asuming its has at least 512MB ram) and launch an exe file to open a VM emulator and start my windows xp machine right from my usb drive without having to install anything on the host pc.

Currently I am using qEMU with a nice little GUI frontend but qEMU lacks of speed even with the accelerator module enabled.

I am commonly going to internet caffe's to do some work and dont always have the apps I need at hand, but do on my vm machine.

Any I deas, or recomendations?

Thanks,

MrChris

not gonna happen.. VMware installs device drivers that is uses to run. There are a ton of registry settings and files in the system folders that it creates. You will not be able to get around this unless you create a script similar to the installer that will create all the necessary registry entries and copy all the necessary shared dll's to the correct location.

Without trying it.. I would say it is most likely not possible. Even without the device drivers(which i think would be your biggest problem) there are still too many shared dll's and registry settings. It's like taking Office 2003 and just copying the program files directory to the external HD and trying to run them on another pc.. its not gonna work that way.

vmware just lauched a vmware tool that allows you to launch vmware machines without vmware installed

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

VMware player is more or less vmware workstation without the ability to create VM's. And WMware Player does require being installed.

But thanks for the tip.

MrChris

Are there any other Win32 based VM Emulators other than vmware,msvirtual machine, or qemu that is worth the effort?