Too many .net framework's installed

rebels_mascot

Hello All,

I think I know the answer to my problem - Uninstall everything & only install the latest file but I'll explain my problem anyway:

I have 5 .net framework listings in my Add or Remove window, I'm fairly sure that's not right, but wanted advice before I started uninstalling anything.

Here's the listings:

Microsoft .Net Framework (English) v1.0.3705 (1,725mb)

Microsoft .Net Framework 1.0 Hotfix (KB886906) (1,725mb)

Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 (no size stated)

Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903) (no size stated)

Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 Beta 2 (102mb)

Any help would be appreciated.

I would go with Zxian's suggestion that is for sure. But I think that you really dont have too many things installed. It seems you have 1.1 and 2.0 beta installed.....and also the hotfixes for 1.1....but yeah I would get rid of all of them, clean out the registry and then reinstall.

.NET framework 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 are independent of each other, you can install/uninstall them separately. Older apps might require 1.0 (if not present will try to use 1.1) Most current apps use 1.1. Few if any released apps use 2.0 because that is still in beta and officially the beta should not be used in redidtributed software. If 1.1 is not installed apps needing it will try to use 2.0 beta.

It does no harm to have all versions on the same PC.

BTW: there is a 2.0 RC version available

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Micro...86/1016688677/1

Uninstall previous versions of 2.0 beta before installing that one.

Edited by JRosenfeld

Guest The-Force
Uninstall everything. Then install RyanVM's .Net 1.1 pack. Then install the 2.0 Beta if you'd like or need it. :)

Where can i download RyanVM's .Net 1.1 pack?

Considering that .Net 2.0 goes final in 14 days from today (iow Nov 7th, 2005) it seems silly to install a beta version.

IIRC you can't run 1.x apps within 2.0, I believe you need each framework for each version of .Net, just like how VB use to work in the old days, a separate .DLL run time for 4, 5, 6. This is done to guarantee full compatibility. If .Net 2.0 could run 1.0 and 1.1 apps, MS would have to run EXTENSIVE tests, waste of time of course.