Upgrading possibility

Biohead

I'm having a lot of problems using my old laptop with vista, mainly the soundcard drivers won't install... It keep saying cannot find SETINF.dll. I've tried searching for the dll but can't find it anywhere.

So.. question is... If I install XP and get everything up and running on that, can I install vista (5231) as an upgrade (via windows) and use some settings from that? I'm going to be reinstalling Vista soon anyway on a new HDD, so I wondered whether it'll work that way?

Another thing about 5231 Winmain, it installs a hell of a lot quicker for me than older build taking around 2-3 hours. This takes about 1 1/2 hours :w00t:

it took about 45 minutes for me to install this build

I would not recommend the upgrade option because it kinda of buggy.

I could be wrong, but as far as I am aware, there is no upgrade option. You have to do a clean install whatever.

And when you install the driver, (I found this worked for me) locate the driver EXE. file and right click it, then select properties and then compatibility. Select the option to make the file XP compatible.

Edited by G30

The fact is... I am having problems installing my old old old Yamaha DS-XG soundcard via the exe (could not load setinf.dll) or even extracting the files via WinRAR. So if I upgrade from XP on my spare partition I want to see if the drivers will be preinstalled.

I suppose running it on a 4 year old laptop designed for win2k isn't a good idea, but then again, i'm trying to run XP on my xbox somehow :D

My god when will people learn??

NEVER EVER "UPGRADE" AN OS

Doing that with a non beta version of windows is a big no-no that will likley cause a huge array of difficult - to extremly difficult to fix problems. what do you think its going to do with a beta OS? one thats not even due out for a year yet!

I'm actually going to try it with the 5231 IDX build, should have it in about an hour now.

Make sure it not the idx2 build as this was a bad release and was not release to the Beta Testers.

You want the idx 3 build that was release to the beta testers.

Vista_Version.PNG