avi to mpeg software

sven

I have a couple programs to convert avis to mpegs. DivxToDVD, and TMPGEnc. i tried with both programs, and after 8 hours converting hamlet, i got a full movie with no sound :(. for both program i got the same results. would anyone have any idea why the programs arn't working?

thanks

btw, if this goes into media forum, im sorry

Download VirtualDub-MPEG2, extract to a folder. Open auxsetup.exe and Install Handler. Open VirtualDub and open your source video. Go to File > File Information to see what the average bitrate for the video is. After you figure that out, go to File > Start Frameserver. Give it a short name and name the next thing as video.vdr.avi. This is a "dummy" file which bridges a connection from VDub to TMPGEnc. Open TMPGEnc/TMPGenc Plus (for unlimited MPEG-2 encoding if you're encoding a movie) Use the template wizard, select NTSC (North America) or PAL (Elsewhere), desired resolution (are you playing on a DVD Player or just on the PC?) leave everything else alone. When you reach the bitrate settings, put in something similar to what VirtualDub told you. If you;re fitting it on a CD/DVD, use a bitrate calculator and then enter the resulting number in TMPGenc. Give it a filename and encode. Now leave the PC alone for however many hours it will take. I hope I remembered everything. I haven't encoded in almost a year. Video making on the PC is my main interest.