What Is 3174 Cluster Controller And Cas?

do u guys know what is "corporate accounting system"?? hmm... even after i find it in the net.... i still don't understand it!

and it is related to 3174 cluster controller (which make me even blur). do the 3174 support normal pc?? or it just support dumb terminal??

and btw the cluster controller is to connect all those dumb terminal only? how about if i want to add more terminal but don't want to buy anymore cluster controller... what can i do??

A 3714 refers to the IEEE number I believe, in anwser to your question; they do support both emulations.

What is a 3714 cluster? Well, it's group of disk sectors that the operating system assigns a unique number to each cluster and then keeps track of files according to which clusters they use. I hope this explanation was suffcient -- If you need additional help, please ask.

I'm sorry for posting so late, I only read this post today.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like you're talking about IBM 3174 controllers. These allow dumb terminals to connect via coax or twisted pair to the mainframe. If you're not familliar with mainframes the connection you get is sorta like a telnet session. Accounting systems on the mainframe are a bit different than what an accountant would do. The amount of cpu cycles you use would get billed or accrued into a group. eg department. Which would allow the corporate office to determine what department uses how much resource and can be budgeted properly.