funny noises

breadandbubbles

i recently built my computer (a week ago). i put 1024 mb of 800mhz OCZ memory on my Asus P5WD2 Motherboard along with a 3.2 Prescott Intel Chip. i have Windows XP Pro. SP 2.

i have Norton Antivirus. Zonealarm. Adaware.

so WHY is my PC so slow? if i have one or two simple applications open (lets say..Soulseek, microsoft word 2003, and internet explorer) my PC makes strange sounds. by listening to the side of the computer, it sounds like its coming from my CPU, but its extremely hard to tell. also, when i use ASUS diagnostic tools, it tells me the CPU is usually from 50 degrees Celsius, to 80 degrees. which seems a lot to me.

is my problem simply cooling? do i have a virus running in the background?

im going to post this in the Hardware forum and the software forum because i cant imagine what the problem could be. i was hoping for a finely tuned, decent computer that ran fast and let me do my work, but thus far im extremely disappointed.

hahaha and if i hear ONE MORE PERSON tell me that my first problem was simply going with Intel and not AMD, im gonna...IM GONNA....probably still wonder why theyre saying that.

Hey there... well I just bought a P5WD2 as well, I haven't completed my build yet but we basically have almost the same components. From your descriptions, I would first check the heat sync and fan, be sure that it's seated perfectly and flush. Are you using the stock HS/Fan or another brand? Are you using Arctic Silver 5 or just the stock pad that came with the HS/Fan? Couple other things, you say you bought the 800MHz OCZ, have you gone into the BIOS and told the P5WD2 thats what you're using b/c most like it's being read at 533/667 DDR2. Also check to be sure that all the RAM is being recognized and in the correct slots. If you bought 2 x 512mb matched pair sticks they need to be in the yellow slots to run in dual channel mode.

Also... check out This Link which is the ASUS Forum for Motherboards. There is tons of useful info in that forum and its nice to be able to work out problems with people that have the same mobo. Be sure and go to the P5WD2 Premium forum ;)

Edited by ringfinger

hey! thanks for the great help. im really regretting not getting the permium actualy. it was an incredibley stupid thing to do.

yes im using a the including HS/fan. what is Arctic Silver 5? stock pad? does this mean my problem may very likely be temperature related?

It's quite possible. Arctic Silver 5 is a thermal paste that goes between the HS/Fan and the CPU itself. The stock HS comes with a thermal pad that performs the same function as the paste, it's just the paste is MUCH better at absorbing and drawing out heat from the CPU. Check the AS5 Homepage and Newegg. Even though you didn't get the Premium, I'd would most definately still check to make sure the HS is installed correctly, the RAM is in the correct slots, check the BIOS to be sure it's being recognized right and consult the ASUS forum as well.

Yeh ditto. P4's are notoriously hot, but 80 (I am assuming Celcius) seems far too hot. I wouldn't be too surprised with 60 though. Also what sort of climate are you operating in; I used to live in the tropics and the standard heatsink just doesn't cut it there. My bad, your in Canada, I take it you don't have tropics.

Anyway I would buy some Artic Silver 5 and use as appropriate and make sure your heatsink is attached correctly. Also make sure that there aren't any loose wires that prevent the fan from spinning, both that on the heatsink and anycase fans. This could be the cause of the noise and the heat. Otherwise ringfinger's pretty much on the ball.