Windows update install failed?

eisaisobaros

OK... first of all the background...

I've created using nLite an unattended Windows XP with SP2 and RyanVM updates...

I also changed with nLite the Maximum Unfinished simultaneous connections from 10 to 50 and I enabled the Unsigned Theme Support....

Yesterday I saw that in Windows Update there where 9 new security updates...

I've downloaded them ok but when it was trying to install them it was failed and the svchost.exe takes 100% of the CPU...

I've tried to download them manually and install them but I had the same result...

Can anyone please please help me?

Thank you in advance

P.S Sorry for my english

hi guys..its a catalog file issue which should be fixed at some time...i recommend doing this....works for me and many others...........1. Stop the crypto service and rename the “CatRoot2” folder inside C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.

2. Rename “CatRoot2” folder to “CatRoot2.bak”

3. Reboot (or use Unlocker to unlock the files inside this folder by killing the svchost.exe process from inside Unlocker)

4. Delete “CatRoot2.bak” folder

5. Deleted everything inside “CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}” except timestamp and SP2.CAT (if you don’t leave SP2.CAT updates won’t even download)

6. Deleted everything inside “CatRoot\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE}” except timestamp

7. Start the Cryptography service (or do a “net start cryptsvc”)

8. Updates should work fine now.

:yes::yes:

MAybe we should sticky this thread because a lot of people posting on this forum have had similar problems. Heck I know I did and in fact I had to go back and make a brand new install cd for XP.

On a related question though, using the Ryan pack, besides the convenience of not needing to waste time updating XP, what are the other benefits? Less space taken up after updates?