Resolution setting in WINNT.SIF doesn't work

I have a nicely built Unattended Install image here that's working just the way I want it to, except for one last niggling detail. It seems to ignore the screen resolution setting in WINNT.SIF, installing with a 640x480 screen. The section looks like this :

[Display]Xresolution = 1024

Yresolution = 768

BitsPerPel = 32

Vrefresh = 60

AutoConfirm = 1

I've been doing all the testing under VMWare - haven't tried it on a real machine yet, so the problem may be an artifact of the VMWare virtual video device. The two main symptoms are :

1) During the RunOnceEx install, the list of items to be installed is too big for the screen - the bottom items are out of view.

2) When it finally boots into XP, it's a 800x600 screen. I have to manually change it up to 1024x768.

Any ideas ?

D.

...Any ideas ?...

if you havent install drivers for video card unattended

those settings will be ignored and the resolution will be the default , i think 800x600@60Hz

do you use BTS driverpacks or other method to install your videodrivers before first boot ?

...Any ideas ?...

if you havent install drivers for video card unattended

those settings will be ignored and the resolution will be the default , i think 800x600@60Hz

do you use BTS driverpacks or other method to install your videodrivers before first boot ?

Yes, the BTS driverpacks are integrated into the image. Hrm - I checked, and the video drivers aren't there at all. That must be it then ...

post-76411-1129147951_thumb.png

They're not exactly required for the main disc used for machine installs, but it would be nice to have them integrated for all the VMWare testing. I'll start googling around, but in the meantime, anyone have any pointers ?

D.

One thing to note about VMware is that it's not capable of going past 800 x 600 resolution until after your virtual machine boots to the desktop for the first time and you install VMTools on your virtual machine.

Make another partition, and test you never get real results when testing drivers e.c.t with virtual machines, believe me iv'e tried also some software registry settings don't work in VM, hope this helps

I have a nicely built Unattended Install image here that's working just the way I want it to, except for one last niggling detail. It seems to ignore the screen resolution setting in WINNT.SIF, installing with a 640x480 screen. The section looks like this :
[Display]

Xresolution = 1024

Yresolution = 768

BitsPerPel = 32

Vrefresh = 60

AutoConfirm = 1

I've been doing all the testing under VMWare - haven't tried it on a real machine yet, so the problem may be an artifact of the VMWare virtual video device. The two main symptoms are :

1) During the RunOnceEx install, the list of items to be installed is too big for the screen - the bottom items are out of view.

2) When it finally boots into XP, it's a 800x600 screen. I have to manually change it up to 1024x768.

Any ideas ?

D.

I set the refresh rate to 1 in order to change the resolution for VMWare. Of course you need to remember to change it back before you create your final install CD.

I was testing out WPI and using the video resolution changer in my .cmd file to change to 1024X768X32 @60 and it wasn't working, so I ran it from a command prompt and used the option to show the modes supported by the video adapter and it showed the only refresh rate supported was 1 (weird). This does work without installing the VM tools and the VM video driver.

Edited by BigDaddyJ

Cool - thanks for the tips. I'll use the 1365VidChng.exe way - it's small and will work everywhere.

D.

Dang - doesn't work in a VM. You can manually change the resolution just fine - even before installing VMWare tools - up to 1024x768. You cannot change the refresh rate though, and the only choice is "default rate". Therein lies the hassle - 1365VidChng.exe can't specify a default rate. You have to specify an actual number, none of which work. Except 1, like BigDaddy said.

Once VMWare Tools have been installed, then the only rate available is 85Hz, and that works fine. Interesting, because my monitor is at 2048x1536x32 at 60Hz.

In the VM do 1365VidChng.exe 1024x768x32@85 poof it works.

So, I'm trying something a little different. A batchfile in $OEM$, called from cmdlines.txt, before the Bashrat driver cmd file. Resolution.cmd has this in it

CMDOW @ /HID

@echo off

"%systemroot%\system32\1365VidChng.exe 1024x768x32@1 -q"

"%systemroot%\system32\1365VidChng.exe 1024x768x32@60 -q"

It simply fails silently if it doesn't work. So this should work in a VM or a real machine ... It's installing in a VM as I type :) We'll see.

Did this work for you? I had a the same idea today to use videochanger.exe to go through the common resolution I need for all the PCs and laptops I set up. Starting at 800X600X16@1 for my VM's and going up to 1400X1050X32X60 for my laptop, with the PC's in the middle. As it stands now I change my command file after testing on a VM befor I create a real CD.

AFAIK during and right after install u can only use screen resolutions that are in the standard VGA range, because all other resolutions rely on the video driver. So the max would be 800x600x16

Edited by Refthoom

AFAIK during and right after install u can only use screen resolutions that are in the standard VGA range, because all other resolutions rely on the video driver. So the max would be 800x600x16

True, but I'm using Bashrat's driver packs so the necessary divers are loaded before I make my resolution change and kick off my software installs. Also my VMs seem to be able to do at lest 1024X768 with out the use of the VMWare video driver.

Just an update on how it's working for me. I test in a VM, and want it to change to 1024x768 as soon as it can, so one can see what the <bleep> it's doing.

The 1365VidChng.exe program is stored in $OEM$\$$\system32

RunOnceEx contains this ...

:
:
SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Programs" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\150 /VE /D "Setting screen resolution" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\150 /V 1 /D "%SystemRoot%\system32\1365VidChng.exe 1024x768x32@1 -q" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\150 /V 2 /D "%SystemRoot%\system32\1365VidChng.exe 1024x768x32@60 -q" /f
:
:

It runs after the Bashrat stuff, which is set in BTS_DPs_ROE.cmd as level 100. For some reason putting the video change before the Bashrat stuff doesn't work.

If it's coming up in a VM, the first entry will work, the second one fails. Ta dah - got 1024x768 in a VM. On a real system, the first one may work, and the second one will probably work. Ta dah - got 1024x768 in a real machine. So far it's worked fine on the two systems I've tried it on.

D.

:D Cool Halfwalker. I run my stuff in GuiRunOnce and here is the .cdm file I put together

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

REM - VM Resolutions, No Driver
videochanger.exe 800X600X32@1 -q
videochanger.exe 1024X768X32@1 -q

REM - VM Resolutions, Driver
videochanger.exe 800X600X32@85 -q
videochanger.exe 1024X768X32@85 -q

REM - Laptop Resolution
videochanger.exe 1400X1050X32@60 -q
videochanger.exe 1600X1200X32@60 -q

REM - Desktop resolutions
videochanger.exe 800X600X32@70 -q
videochanger.exe 1024X768X32@70 -q

EXIT

I've tested it on a VM (both with and without the VM video driver), a laptop and a desktop and so far no problems. :thumbup