I can not accessed NTFS windows partition

zillah

I have got Laptop with WinXP SP2, I can not accessed the my windows OS now, what should I do to retrieve my important data which I backed up some of them and then rest are still there.

I tried to use Partition Commander V8 to copy the NTFS (where windows XP resides) partiton to external HD (USB cable) , I was able to copy it (it took 4 hours) , but when I tried to read eteranl HD from another PC Desktop (Healthy one), it showed me unknow partition!!!

When I tried to plug the external HD (USB cable) again to the laptop (that has probelm), the partition commander could not see the exteranl HD ,,,,,,,,,,,I do not why?

Any clue please

Is this is a fresh install of XP?
No, I tried to repair it by using WinXP CD.
Are there multiple users created on this machine? Has someone changed the access rights to the whole drive?

Only one user. No

Hi zillah. :hello:

If it took so long to copy the partition then something is probably wrong.

You could, if the data is really that important, try to extract the hd from the laptop:

You'll probably find it's a 2.5 inch hd, with a 44pin ide connector. You'll need an adapter, in order to connect it to a 3.5inch usb external box (or if you have a 2.5inch external box no adapter is required) and then connect your original hd to a working pc, and read from there.

I just hope that the data isn't damaged in any way.

Did the machine just stop working, or what?

When I tried to repair the windows XP , I went through the normal setup, then I pressed the option r for repair (I have not choosen the frish installation).

Windows went through the process of installation, but at the stage when it tells 34 minutes remain for complation (stage of Driver installation). It poped up with blue screen I could not catch what has been written on it, then it restarted the windows again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I tried many times the same steps with out any success.

Now I am tring to access the windows OS, it gives me black screen only.

Another "blue screen of death, eh! :o

Going by my experience, that usually means your installation is definitely gone.

I repeat, if you can get your hands on a 2.5inch external hdd box (they don't cost much), you can extract the hd from the laptop and link it to another machine directly. This is only to salvage your data. You probably couldn't repair the installation een with the repair tool.

If the data isn't worth it, then I definitely suggest a clean install, with a complete format (not a quick format) of the hdd. Even if you manage to recover the data, you'd have to clean install anyway to get the laptop to work.