Network/Internet access problem

kimvin

I have some problems about my internet/network access and transfer speed on both. It's been like this for a long time. The problem is that, I ain't able to download with over 250-260kB/sec from any internet website etc. Sometimes it downloads in 350 kB/sec etc, but it lowers to 250kB/sec pretty fast. I have the same download speed at my mom(2,5mbit) and my dad(8mbit).I've tried to change network cable & card, nothing changed.

I have the same kind of problem with my network, some time ago I were at LAN with some friends, I weren't able to transfer a 400 MB file within 37-40 minutes...so I thinks there something like a block or something that forbids me from using my whole transfer speed both from internet and LAN.

I've checked some settings too on the Local Connection, I haven't been able to fix it.

I hope to get some answers here ;)

Thanks for your time.

(Sorry for not so easy readable English.)

Edited by kimvin

Thanks for fast answer.

I've tried to change cables!

Where can I find drivers for my ethernet port(s)?

I think i've tried to change some settings on the MTU settings, but where exactly is that?

Check your device manager under system devices for your ethernet ports and try and update the driver from there. AS far as the MTU, this may be why you're experiencing problems if you've lowered this setting. Check this link which will explain MTU and the recommended values. See if yours is different.

Checked the MTU settings, and they were as they are supposed to. I didn't find any options for Ethernet ports under ports under device management. I really don't know what to do.

By the way, I tried to download, started at 322kB/sec, went down to around 250 kB/sec pretty fast

Quite possibly your PC is full of clutter. Try cleaning it up with software that trashes unused temp files and dead registry keys. The first move I would make.

If you have installed / uninstalled, deleted, downloaded files from the internet or media the files are still present on your PC. Personally, I use Evidence Eliminator as it's the only software I know that detects and cleans every single registry key and tmp file, it's by far an advanced piece of software, but I would recommend looking for something more subtle as one wrong move with this software will destroy your hard disk drive. If anyone know's of a piece of software that may be less brutal and easier for a novice please let me know and the poster.

You can do this while you search for a program that will efficiently clean your PC of that crap:

1. Check your PC thoroughly.

2. Download / Run a file sweaper (explained above)

3. Download / Run HiJackThis,

4. Doanlowd / Run SpyBotSearch&Destroy and spyware blaster,

5. I would also recommend installing SpywareGuard and keep it running as a resident service.

6. If you have more questions, run on over to http://www.wilderssecurity.com/, us Professionals hide out there ;)

Ummm, no I'm not advertising, just referring to the correct source.

You may want to read this:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/cleansweep.mspx

If non of the above improves, then I would reinstall your network card driverss. If all else fails contact your ISP.

Edited by epic