Have XP Home, need to run logout script

dougiefresh

I have XP Home Edition and read that running GPEDIT.MSC, you can set up a logout script that will run every time that the user logs out. My purpose is to backup the address book on my computer in the event that the OS partition is screwed up by viruses, spyware, computer crashes, etc, etc, etc.

XP Home doesn't have GPEDIT.MSC......... I have a copy of XP Pro, which does have the files. Any ideas on either installation of these files OR the addition of registry entries to run the logout script? Replies with info would be appreciated. (P.S.: I have searched for this information and only found information with GPEDIT.MSC) HHHHEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should still be able to impliment some kinda login script...it just wouldn't be through GPEDIT.MSC. Basically, you would just make your login script and then insert it into your systems startup process. This can be done via a shortcut in your startup dir (%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup) or by a registry entry (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run).

I use a simple, yet effective program called Startup Control Panel...it's an application that allows you to easily manage your startup processes. With it you can see all the areas that are involved with Windows startup. You can also add items with the program. You would basically just point it to your script and that should be it.

As for the script itself, given what you want a simple batch files would be enough, or you could use VBScript, AutoIt, or Kix to accomplish it.

You should still be able to impliment some kinda login script...it just wouldn't be through GPEDIT.MSC. Basically, you would just make your login script and then insert it into your systems startup process. This can be done via a shortcut in your startup dir (%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup) or by a registry entry (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run).

I hadn't considered a log-in script. It would give me the ability to back up the Address Book on my machine, but if I make changes to it and the system crashes and is not bootable, then what? I need my Address Book to be current and ............... (light bulb popping on above my head) Task Scheduler? I guess I could also create a task that occurs every so often....... Log-out script still would be a great thing.

I use a simple, yet effective program called Startup Control Panel...it's an application that allows you to easily manage your startup processes. With it you can see all the areas that are involved with Windows startup. You can also add items with the program. You would basically just point it to your script and that should be it.

I have Startup Control Panel installed on my machine. Very useful program!!!

As for the script itself, given what you want a simple batch files would be enough, or you could use VBScript, AutoIt, or Kix to accomplish it.

I am able to create CMD and 4NT batch files, as well as AutoIT v2.64 and v3 scripts. Thank you, InTheWayBoy!!! Unfortunately, this wasn't what I was looking for, but it gave my a few ideas.

Edited by dougiefresh

How about a custom cmd script that includes copying (xcopying) the address book file, followed by the shutdown -l command. Put this script on the desktop with an icon. Remove the Logoff and Shutdown buttons from the Start menu with regedit (they're GP items) so everyone is forced to click this custom logoff icon.

If you want to back up other things, or if your sole purpose is to backup the address book, then you might also consider the schtasks command with ntbackup (which needs to be installed).

I've already discussed the steps I took to add gpedit.msc to XP HE here (but it didn't work all the way).

I finally found my solution: change Address Book file location within registry! I finally searched the registry and found the path that refers to the Address Book file and modified and repatched the registry. Here's the reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4\Wab File Name]
@="d:\\backup\\Address Book\\owner.wab"

(where d:\\backup\\Address Book\\ is the location of the "backup" file.) Copied the Address Book to the backup directory and delete the original after testing. Now I can make sure my Address Book stays up to date! Why I didn't think of this earlier is beyond me...... Thanks everybody!

@InTheWayBoy: No, you're not a moron. I completely understand being tired. I appreciate the answer though. Made me think about other solutions to tackle the problem...... Thanks for your contribution!

@Takeshi: I wanted something that was completely automated upon shutdown. Won't have to double-click anything and/or keep users from properly logging off the system the normal way, you know. Thank you for the idea. I do appreciate it!

Oh, by the way, I didn't see a link to the installation instructions. Perhaps you would post it. It might come in useful in the future. There might be other things utilizing GPEDIT.MSC that I might be interested in....

Edited by dougiefresh

Yes your solution is a good idea!

After a long search I found it eventually (and since you were so nice about it I would do it):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=47978&hl=

I've given up trying to make it work since I use XP Pro now.

Can't say I blame you. Using XP Pro seems easier than trying to make it work, but Dell will only support XP Home on this machine since my machine came with XP Home. Serves me right for not spending the extra money, but (sigh) oh well!

Thanks for the link!!! Will look into this idea further. (Sorry, didn't mean to be lazy........ I should be searched myself, but I thought since you brought it up, you might have meant to put the link in originally and had it on hand!)

Edited by dougiefresh