Terminal Services Number of Users Issue

swancd

Which server OS is this?

Have you entered in the licence details where you type in your license information and then you recieve an email from microsoft with your license key or whatever they send you?

in 2003 terminal services is installed by default with in Remote administration mode and will only allow 2 connections, install the full terminal services and set it in terminal services mode not remote administration

Thanks for the replies.

Yes its Windows Server 2003 Small Business Edition.

How would I go about installing the full terminal services? Do I need to do Add/Remove programs, remove the Terminal Services, reboot, then Add/Remove and add it in again?

Would this give me the option of making it run on the correct mode?

Simple walk-through would be appriciated!

Thanks

Owain

This walk-through is actually kinda easy.. it cannot be done.

SBS2003 or even SBS2000 CANNOT be a Terminal Server Application Mode server. If you want a Terminal Server you need to purchase Server 2003 or Server 2000 STANDARD EDITION. SBS will not work, It is not possible

Hi,

Is this 100% true? - We seem to be able to enter the licence fine into SBS2003 and it even says we have 5 licences. Why does it let you enter the licence if it can't be used?

Are they used for something else?

Thanks

100% true. Because you made the SBS the License Server. This is a central location for the licenses. If you added an additional Terminal Server, it would look to the domain license server for CAL's. You can install all of your Client Cal's, TS's Cal's and any other type of network access Cals on here as the central license server

So even though you can install the licenses fine.. that doesnt mean you can run SBS in Application Mode.

The main reason SBS cannot be a Application Mode Terminal Server is the shear security risk that comes with it.. SBS requires to be a domian controller and the only domain controller in the enviroment. This means this is the most important part of your network. Making it a terminal Server would mean you have regular users (that needs heavier rights to log on to a DC) logging on to your Domain Controller. This is a security risk and a half..

either way.. here is a little article i searched for from MS that can explain to you

http://www.microsoft.com/canada/partner/pr...es/default.aspx

Edited by chilifrei64