Can not disable network connection

amenx

Hi,

Since I moved my NIC to another PCI slot, I've been unable to disconnect it when right clicking the network icon to disable it in the sys tray. Message appears:

"It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support plug-and-play or it may have been initiated by another user or the system account".

I can only disable it by going into the device manager, which is a several clicks hassle. When I try to re-enable it from a shortcut or from the Network Connections folder, the message "Connection Failed!" appears. And again, I have to go to Device Mgr to re-enable it.

I've tried many things, including returning the NIC to its original slot. I have XP Pro and went to the Polcies editor (GPedit.msc) to enable all network priviliges as well despite me being a single user with Admin account, to no avail.

Funny thing is, I dual boot XP Pro (SP1), and the other system does NOT have this problem.

Help appreciated!

Thanks

Have you checked the advanced settings? You can find that in the network connection screen. Maybe there's something wrong with your bindings?

Also check device manager, and in the View menu "Show hidden devices", maybe there's something off there?

Have you checked the advanced settings?  You can find that in the network connection screen.  Maybe there's something wrong with your bindings?

Also check device manager, and in the View menu "Show hidden devices", maybe there's something off there?

Thanks, but solved it. The slot where I put the NIC into had a modem there before. When I removed the modem, I forgot to uninstall its software. Did that, and everything is OK now. :)

BTW, thanks for the tip on the "Show hidden devices" in the Device Mgr. Didnt even know it was there.. may be useful one day. :hello: