RISult - Integrating RIS + RyanVM/BTS packs

Fencer128

@Standard_L

RISult has currently not been tested to work with RyanVM's 2.0.0 update pack (see banner screen). The reason for this is that I'm waiting on Bashrat releasing a new version of his Base pack that corrects an issue with High Definition Audio (it's not a big change so hopefully it won't be too long). As soon as this is ready I'll run it (and RyanVM packs) through RISult, make any tweaks that are required and then release a new version.

With regard to your issues, my script shouldn't do anyting funny to sp2.cab or txtsetup.sif. If this is something caused by RISult then I suspect it is related to the lack of RVM pack 2.0.0 testing.

However, I believe it is not a RISult issue and is most likely related to your source files. RISult expects a clean vanilla SP2 slipstreamed win xp pro source (i.e. no hacking, no nlite, etc). If you have altered your source at all I suggest trying the whole process again, but with untouched files.

With regard to nlite, I do not use it and have not built any particular functionality into RISult to support it. Nor have I tested with it. That's not to say it won't work though.

Good luck,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128

If you're in a domain, you can have a "default" profile of sorts - create the folder structure \\<dcserver>\netlogon\Default User\. If that folder structure exists in your domain, new users will use that profile when they log on to a new machine and create a new profile.

You could also use roaming profiles with this, in which case your problem would be solved that way as well.

@Fencer128

Thank you for your fast reply! I took a look at RIS_Original txtsetup.sif and it contains "sp2.cab". The CD that I had used for RIS_Original was a flat SP2 slipstream. You are probably right though, I am breaking standard operating parameters. Once again, appreciate the work.

RISult v1.0.5 now available for download from usual link.

Changes include removal of some file operations made unecessary by changes to BTS packs. See enclosed changelog for details.

Should now work with RyanVM 2.0.0 update pack, Integrator 1.0.2 and BTS base pack 5.11.2.

Please post any problems to this thread.

Thanks,

Andy

• 2 months later...

Hey dude ive managed to get a pretty good looking file set using RISULT however I did get one file not found error near the end. It didnt seem to copy the 7za driver pack files? Can I confirm they should be in $OEM$\$1 in 7za format?

Where should they be in the pre structure? Mine were in Unattend\RIS\BTS root. Maybe that was where I went wrong?

Anyhow the presetup.cmd file looks amended good however now ive got a problem loading the image.

I get in textmode "The OS you selected does not contain the necessary driver for yoru network adapter"

I notice that in AutoRIS Rogue includes a s***load of updated drivers in the NIC_Drivers folder. How do I go about including these in the completed RISULT build?

Cheers

Hi,

The DriverPacks should be in *.7z format (not *.7za). You seem to have everything else correct.

To add text mode LAN drivers to your RIS image (which is what I assume you're wanting to do) just copy the required *.inf and *.sys files for each adapter to the i386 directory of your RIS image once RISult has run. Once you have done this restart the binlsvc service in your RIS server and you are good to go.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi ive today sucessfully and finally used your script.

My problem with the files was my .sif file

You need to make sure that OEMpreinstall=yes else it dosnt copy the files to the root.

Anyway some feedback and bugreports if i may.

1. When specifying a default .sif file the script goes ahead and deletes ristndrd.sif but does not make the[guirunonce] amendments to the custom sif file. This in turns causes the finish.cmd and cleanup.cmd not to be exexuted post install. Ive gotten around this by commenting out the default sif section and renaming my default .sif to ristndrd.sif. This way the entries are correctly made to my custom file.

2. I still seem to be getting a file not found error in the script around this stage

REM Move necessary BTS files to RIS suitable locations

MOVE /Y OEM\bin\7za.exe $OEM$\$$\System32 >> "%LOGALL%"

MOVE /Y OEM\bin\SetDevicePath.exe $OEM$\$1\D >> "%LOGALL%"

MOVE /Y OEM\bin\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe $OEM$\$1\D >> "%LOGALL%"

MOVE /Y OEM\*.7z $OEM$\$1 >> "%LOGALL%"

Im not able to pinpoint the exact location as the logfile (which ive attached) appears to stop loggin after the error has occured. The script does however finish. There are several entries below these lines that appear to require logging but do not appear on the log.

3. There seems to be a problem with your amended BTS cleanup and finish.cmd. (although ive not actually ran them in the context you have due to the problem stated in section 1) i have manually clicked them and seen some problems.

Finish.cmd runs fine and appears to want to copy the BTS_DPs_cleanup.cmd to %SYSTEMDRIVE%\TEMP

After running the file the only file I see is one called TEMP with no file extension on the root. Editing this file indeed reveals that it is infact the cleanup.cmd. After giving this file back its file extension ive found problems from within this file also.

the file reads

CMDOW @ /HID

DEL /F /Q %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.7z

DEL /F /Q %WINDIR%\system32\setupold.exe

DEL /F /Q %WINDIR%\system32\7za.exe

%WINDIR%\system32\presetup.cmd

RD /S /Q %SystemDrive%\D

Now line 5 appears to want to run presetup.cmd. i cant see a reason for this to happen at all as that file executes at the beginning of the GUI section of setup. Should that read DEL %WINDIR%\system32\presetup.cmd ??????????

Furthermore none of the %SystemDrive%\D got deleted. When i ran that line from dos there were millions of errors stating the files were already in use. Saying that though the problem could have been due to the fact presetup.cmd tried to execute.

I would like to thankyou once again for all the hard work you have put into this project and look forward to your feedback.

Thanks

Res

Hi Resonate,

Thank you for your thorough reporting of your problems. You've found a couple of issues that I'll look into and fix tomorrow when I've got some free time. I'll also respond to each of your points in detail.

Expect a v1.0.8 real soon! :D

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128

Hi Resonate,

Please see my comments below:

1. When specifying a default .sif file the script goes ahead and deletes ristndrd.sif but does not make the[guirunonce]amendments to the custom sif file. This in turns causes the finish.cmd and cleanup.cmd not to be exexuted post install. Ive gotten around this by commenting out the default sif section and renaming my default .sif to ristndrd.sif. This way the entries are correctly made to my custom file.

I have found the problem here. I have not carried through the variable that defines the custom.sif file. At one point there is still a hard linked "ristndrd.sif" specified. I have made a change that should fix this, but I am away from the desk at the moment so am unable to test it! If you have the time I'd appreciate it if you could run RISult and give some feedback.

2. I still seem to be getting a file not found error in the script around this stage

REM Move necessary BTS files to RIS suitable locations

MOVE /Y OEM\bin\7za.exe $OEM$\$$\System32 >> "%LOGALL%"

MOVE /Y OEM\bin\SetDevicePath.exe $OEM$\$1\D >> "%LOGALL%"

MOVE /Y OEM\bin\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe $OEM$\$1\D >> "%LOGALL%"

MOVE /Y OEM\*.7z $OEM$\$1 >> "%LOGALL%"

Im not able to pinpoint the exact location as the logfile (which ive attached) appears to stop loggin after the error has occured. The script does however finish. There are several entries below these lines that appear to require logging but do not appear on the log.

Maybe I've missed an update of BTS or maybe the way in which I've used RISult previously wasn't impacted by this - but I can see that WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe is not located within OEM/bin. I've amended the path now so you should not get a file not found error again.
3. There seems to be a problem with your amended BTS cleanup and finish.cmd. (although ive not actually ran them in the context you have due to the problem stated in section 1) i have manually clicked them and seen some problems.

I've had a look at this and it is something I'll need to spend a little time on. I've fixed the problem with BTS...Cleanup.cmd. There should have been a "DEL" in there. Presetup.cmd should now no longer be run but deleted instead - I blame cut and paste for that one ;)

The problem with moving BTS...Finish.cmd to a new location is unusual. It must be to do with the parsing of that particular command line within the context of an fedit statement. The MOVE command is correctly formatted when used in a simple batch file - it isn't working here though. I'll have a look and see if I can fix it. Failing that I'll see if I can do a copy/delete instead.

With regard to the errors you get after executing BTS...Cleanup.cmd I suspect that's caused, as you suppose, by presetup.cmd erroneously executing. As such, this should now also be fixed. I (and others) have previously had problems with the "D" folder not getting deleted at end of the build installation. If the "D" folder is still present after you have otherwise successfully installed then this may not be a RISult issue.

I would like to thankyou once again for all the hard work you have put into this project and look forward to your feedback.

I'm currently in the middle of creating a VB version of RISult, as I have moved on a larger project - which incorporates RISult, as well as ISO and PE build creation in a GUI VB environment. As such, one of the things I'm working on is improving the logging abilities and making the file/folder specification process less error prone/intuitive. It's still a while away so I'm still supporting the batch RISult but I hope you can see that the idiosyncracies of batch file operation should eventually be a thing of the past! :D

Given that the current 1.0.7 build of RISult has problems I'm going to post 1.0.8 immediately, with the caveat that it hasn't yet had the testing it usually gets and that the MOVE BTS...Finish problem appears to still exist. If you could re-run 1.0.8 and let me know of any remaining problems/improvements I'd be most grateful (I'm on vacation this week and have no VPN access to my work).

Thank you for taking the time to report all of this.

Andy

Hi again Res,

Doh! This is most likely very simple. Do you have a folder %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Temp after install has completed?

I bet that MOVE just creates a new file if it can't find the folder. I'll put an IF statement somewhere to fix this and make sure the folder is created. Once I'm done I'll release 1.0.9.

Cheers,

Andy

EDIT: v1.0.9 now up.

Edited by Fencer128

Ok some early results following build

Custom SIF now seems to process correctly

Still getting an error in the batch file not found

Done! You've completed the slipstream process!

Now test and ENJOY the pleasure of having a fully Unattended Windows XP CD/DVD

wich will work on *virtually_any_PC*!

################################################################################

Done

Performing post-integration processing on RIS file set...

The system cannot find the file specified.

Done

RIS integration is complete! You may now:

1. Copy the D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\i386 folder back over to the RIS server

The log file is still not populating after this error has occured. These are the last lines in my log

Total increase: 974 files, 12179712 bytes expanded to 43464892 bytes, 257% increase.

D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_Chipset_V601.7z

D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_CPU_V506.7z

D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_Graphics_A_V6011.7z

D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_Graphics_B_V5111.7z

D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_LAN_V602.7z

D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_MassStorage_V510.7z

D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_Sound_A_V601.7z

D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_Sound_B_V602.7z

D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_WLAN_V601.7z

1 file(s) copied.

1 file(s) copied.

1 file(s) copied.

Im copying the files to the server now and will do a build test, im off for a smoke!