win98se annoying bootup message

trickytwista

hiya guys, my sister simply deleted symantec antivirus folder without 1st uninstalling it, shes now brought it round for me too look at as on each boot before the OS starts a message on screen says "cant find c:program files/symantec.386 and then says the registry or system.ini file needs it, after that you have to press any key for it to continue booting into the OS (which is shady windows 98se) anyone know a way i can remove this annoying error? cheers guys

Edited by trickytwista

Ha Ha Ha!

Bit by the ol' Norton bug, eh?

I see this all the time. It doesn't make a lot of difference whether you properly uninstall Norton or not. It still leaves c.r.a.p. like that behind.

At that error message just press any key and the program will continue.

Write down the file names if it give you more than one error.

Then after windows has booted up, go into 'Regedit' and do a search for the offending file name...SYMEVNT.386 is a real common one.

Anyway, find the file and delete the key that it's in.

Press F3 to continue the search to the end of the registry.

When Search tells you it's done, exit Regedit and reboot your PC .

The problem should be gone.

Make sure that in MSCONFIG all the Symantec programs are DE-Selected.

That sould do it,

Andromeda43

well, what version of Norton was she using? 2001/2002/2003/2004/2005?

Knowing this, I could help out a bit as well...

Symantec has a nice utility for users of 2003/2004/2005, called "SymNRT". It'll remove every instance of the **** program, even if the files for it are missing. It's a bit better than the Regedit/F3 combination.

Also, I have a script that I wrote to automate the removal of anything else that the symantec app doesn't remove.

Try this: You have to run the EXE that I'm providing you with, which is a self-extracting archive.

Then run the program "BFU". Next, open up a file called "rmSymantec.bfu". Click Go. The system might need to be rebooted.

I should note that this is a VERY DESTRUCTIVE script, and should ONLY BE USED IF ALL OF SYMANTEC PRODUCTS ARE AFFECTED!!!

Edited by jimmsta

hey cheers for the info, 1 day she will learn that you have to uninstall instead of just delete... i believe it was norton 2001 antivirus but i dunno because its not actually running other than the annoying bootup message, but i think it be 2001 because she said it was already installed when she bought pc about 4 or 5 years ago, i shall give it a try, thanks again EDIT , where is the BFU exe? and no theres no other norton apps on the pc.........cheers

Edited by trickytwista