slow pc

Derm

CoRoNe, I've chatted to you before. Thanks for the FilterPack but let go of your ego for a bit to realize the following:

People, very intelligent people, like Zxian who have enough smarts to work at a physics university who code algorithms and maintain PCs for other people... he knows what he's talking about. I've read a lot of "advice" from other members of this forum and Zxian is by far the most sensible person I've heard from. I'm not saying you aren't... but also take into consideration that Zxian runs a laptop and not a desktop. I too, like many have seen BV's guide and it's very generalized. Not everyone has home networks of 5 PCs. So stop irritating people with technicalities. You rarely make a post on the forums and suddenly get into a big debate about Windows Services. Zxian has better things to deal with with his time like the fact that some PCs were stolen recently. Anyway, sorry to bring a real life example into a situation like this, I just think it's necessary to make certain people realize things for the better. Cheers.

Hi Guys, remember me? :thumbup

I'd first of all like to thank everyone who has taken the time to reply, Im delighted with the feedback. Ive discovered & installed a lot of really useful programs thanks to the recommendations made here.

Ram Idle, came & went

Crap Cleaner

JV16 Power tools

Perfect Disk

These got a lot of junk off of my system.

After all these my system is definitely a bit better, but still not as quick as I would like. My bench mark test (and this is totally untechnical) is when I click Start>All Programs,it can take what seems like an eternity for the list to open. I can live with it the way it is now, but still feel it should be better. Having said that I have'nt yet carried out some of the more technical recommendations posted here.

In answer to one or two other points, the hard disc is 7200rpm, and as far as cooling goes, there is plenty of air flowing around the pc (BTW, is there a way to check the processor temperature?)

Thanks again

If the list is too large, you can spend a bit of time categorizing your start menu.

For example, create a new folder, and move all the programs relating to a particular category (e.g. Internet) in that folder. Do this for all your programs and your start menu will show up a lot quicker.

To check your temperatures, download a program called SpeedFan. After it's running, you can see your temperatures in the main program window. Let us know what they are. :)

As for the recommendations about disabling services - it's a good thing to do in the end, but I don't think it'll be a solution to your problem. Have you checked that you have all the latest drivers for your video card/chipset?

Hi Zxian,

Thanks for the SpeedFan link, I'll check it out.

I recently updated my video drivers from the intel site after a recent BSOD.

I intend to pursue some of the other suggestions made also, such as categorising the Start Menu list, I have done this in other folders and it has helped.

regards

Derm

P.S. Forgot to mention SpyBot in my list of new installs