Dual booting XP Pro and XP X64

AznStyl

Hi all, this is my first time attempting to dual boot. Got a lil problem hope to resolve soon.

Here's the situation:

I put in my x64 xp disc. Format the partition it copy all file into that partion. It reboot. But when it reboot, it reboot straght into my xp pro and not completing the x64 installation on the other partion. Why? Please help?

Thank you.

Disclaimer:

I take no responiblity that this may cause lose of data and/or make a system malfunction improperly... You take all risk from here on out in to your own hands and leave me no blame if this messes up your system... If you here by agree to this disclaimer then read on, otherwise; click the go back button in the Internet explorer that you so like to use... I TAKE NO RESPONIBLITY IF THIS MESSES UP YOUR SYSTEM/WINDOWS INSTALLATION/or HARDWARE.... YOU ARE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tip:

Make a back-up of boot.ini and save it to a floppy in case of a mess up that u have caused...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Windows XP Professional...

Start >

Control Panel >

System Properties >

Advanced Tab >

Click on the 'Settings' button under the Startup and Recovery area >

Under start-up, you will see a drop down list >

Change it from the one highlighted to the Windows XP Installing version >

Click 'Ok' >

Click 'Ok' again >

Close everything >

and the finale Restart....

That should cure the problem.... :whistle:

Edited by lostincyberspace2007

your boot.ini should look something like:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

your default is probably still XP Pro, make sure the timeout is long enough to let you choose x64