problems with new pc

dee88

hi everyone i have just got a new pc a few weeks ago and im having problems with it, sometimes when i turn it on it works fine but other times it plays about 5 beeps coming from the motherboard. and also sometimes it hangs when loading windows. can any one help

pc specs

Dmachine DV Extreme

Windows xp professional

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHZ SAN DIEGO

160GB hard drive

1GB ram

nvidia Geforce 7800 GTX graphics card

i have looked at the mobo when it beeps and there is one orangey coloured light near the ram slots

edit - this is where i got the pc from www.dmachines.20m.com this is just there temporary site, they did have another one but i dont know what happened to it.

Edited by dee88

is it exactly 5 beeps? plz count for sure. and tell me how long each beep is, short or long. if its 5 beeps then its a processor failure, if its 4 then the mobo is bad, if its 6 then it should have something to do with the keyboard.

Edited by ripken204

well maybe it just isnt recognized right sometimes. if u wanted to take it out then put back in then give it a try, but then u have to mess with ur heatsink and thermal paste which can be a pain. maybe there is a pin thats not touching right, look at the cpu if u take it out and make sure that all of the pins are there.

before you do that tho, try resetting the ram

actually what bios do u even have?

Edited by ripken204

also, what could be causing this is overheating

this problem could is usually either the mobo or the cpu, if u have access to another cpu then try it but i dont think that it is since it works sometimes. what mobo do u have?

Edited by ripken204

I had this same problem with my mobo, everytime it booted I got the 5 beeps and a message saying bios checksum error, then it used to boot from the back-up bios chip faultlessly, the company I brought it from were a bit of a b***h and were'nt willing to help me, so I went direct to the manufacturer with the problem, (gigabyte Tech Support), if you visit your mobo's web site they should have some tech support contact info there.

Anyway, gigabyte replied and said I had a faulty Bios chip and to flash the bios with a beta bios that they supplied me with, they said if that didnt work, to RMA the board, the new board so far, touch wood, is fine.

Edited by Seanie's Show

well maybe it just isnt recognized right sometimes. if u wanted to take it out then put back in then give it a try, but then u have to mess with ur heatsink and thermal paste which can be a pain. maybe there is a pin thats not touching right, look at the cpu if u take it out and make sure that all of the pins are there.

before you do that tho, try resetting the ram

actually what bios do u even have?

its an AMI bios, i think the problems is down to overheating, i did a test so i turned the pc on for about an hour, then turned it off and touched the heatsink and it was extremey hot. im going to contact the company i got it from and see if they can help.

WOW! its definetly bad cooling. what heatsink do u have and what thermal paste? if u are on stock then you should definetly get something better.

im not sure what heatsink and thermal paste i have, it was already install in the pc when i got it. what temp should a AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHZ SAN DIEGO be at. my old pc which im using at the minute is between 26c - 34c and its an intel pentium 3.

im not sure what heatsink and thermal paste i have, it was already install in the pc when i got it. what temp should a AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHZ SAN DIEGO be at.  my old pc which im using at the minute is between 26c - 34c and its an intel pentium 3.

It should probably be in the neighbourhood of 35-50 celcius. Does your system have any case fans exhausting hot air or taking in cool air? In a modern system like yours, at bare minimum you should have a 80-120 mm exhaust fan. Whoever did build it for you, I would ask them what type of thermal paste they used, and also ask what make/model the CPU heatsink/fan are. If it is just the retail HSF than comes with the retail version of the processor you should be just fine at stock speeds. On the other hand, if the builder chose an OEM version of the chip (doesnt come with a HSF) and instead opted for some cheap after market HSF, that could also be a problem.

One other question about the problems you described in your first post. Did these problems occur from day 1, or did it take a few days/weeks for it to start happening?

Edited by ssmokee

One other question about the problems you described in your first post. Did these problems occur from day 1, or did it take a few days/weeks for it to start happening?

no when i got it, it work perfectly. i only noticed a few days ago. i have tryed contacting the company but they havent replyed yet. will let u know when they do