So I went to a 3D Studio Max 8 demo...

JasonGW

So we're sitting there going through the demos and the presenter--who's in charge of something or other for the entire western region of the United States-- is going on about how they've got all these cool new features and functions that tie into Xbox 360 development. All kinds of slick new directX stuff, tools for creating extraordinary textures via normal mapping, etc.), and someone asks "so what's Autodesk doing with regard to PS3 development?" and our presenter really had some strong opinions.

He said "we plan to support PS3 development if Sony ever bothers to spend some time telling us what they want or need. Right now Sony's being characteristically flaky". He also said that the PS3 is "one of the worst programming nightmares I have ever seen. The primary core has no logic for delegating tasks to the SPE's, the programmer has to assign the tasks manually, by hand, in the code. By contrast, XBox 360's XNA platform automatically optimizes the code and assigns tasks according to available resources."

Asked about which system was the more powerful he said "taking into account the entire package--tools, ease-of-use, resource management and hardware capability, XBox 360 is hands-down the most capable console system that will be introduced in the next generation. PS3 is becoming less powerful by the day, Sony's support is practically nonexistent at this point."

As he wrapped it up he told us all, "if I could only afford one next-gen system, it would be XBox 360. If I could afford two, it would be 360 and Revolution." (which, of course, spawned a bunch of people asking about revolution, which he couldn't say anything about.)

All in all, if I were Sony I'd be awfully worried when the world's #1 3D game content creation tool developers begins to call me "flaky" and says in no uncertain terms that the competition has a better box.

Wow.

Jason

I think we already know that you're a fanboy ;)

Uh, no, on the contrary I'm not a fanboy of *any* of the major console manufacturers. Each has their strengths and weaknesses, none of them has proven themselves to be an all-around great solution. I was merely tossing out what one of the senior engineers of Autodesk said during a presentation concerning Max 8 and content creation on the new platforms.

When you have something constructive to add, come on back. Otherwise, kindly poke your nose elsewhere.

Jason

do we really need another PS3 vs. 360 thread? you didn't get enough with the last 3... did you?

@harunaksoy, yep, i already knew it ;)

Thanks for your lack of useful input, friend, but that wasn't the point of the thread at all. Too bad you missed it. As stated above, the point was merely to report what a senior engineer from Autodesk said about content creation on the new platforms using Max 8. Too bad you're no smarter than the previous poster and can't contribute something useful.

Jason

Fanboy or Fanboi is a term used to describe someone who is utterly devoted to a single subject or hobby, often to the point where it is considered an obsession.

Fanboys are often experts on minor details regarding their hobbies, and they take these details extremely seriously.

-Wikipedia - Fanboy

(from the previously mentioned PS3 vs XBox360 thread)

As a matter of simple ideology I admit I DO want Sony to get b***h slapped in the console arena this time around.
(regarding PS3 at E3 conference)Only the imbeciles were wowed, and the show went on.
I *do* suspect that XBox 360 will surpass PS3 sales, at least in the first 1-2 years.

Need I say more? The problem is that no one is going to bother with this thread because of the types of responses you gave in the other 3. You've basically dug yourself into a hole that's very hard to dig out of.

Fanboy or Fanboi is a term used to describe someone who is utterly devoted to a single subject or hobby, often to the point where it is considered an obsession.

Fanboys are often experts on minor details regarding their hobbies, and they take these details extremely seriously.

-Wikipedia - Fanboy

(from the previously mentioned PS3 vs XBox360 thread)

As a matter of simple ideology I admit I DO want Sony to get b***h slapped in the console arena this time around.
(regarding PS3 at E3 conference)Only the imbeciles were wowed, and the show went on.
I *do* suspect that XBox 360 will surpass PS3 sales, at least in the first 1-2 years.
Need I say more? The problem is that no one is going to bother with this thread because of the types of responses you gave in the other 3. You've basically dug yourself into a hole that's very hard to dig out of.

You'd certainly need to say a lot more than what you just have, I'm afraid. My stated desire for Sony to get b***h slapped was clearly based on the fact that it's never good for a single company to have such a dominant position in the market for such an extended period of time. It has NOTHING to do with being a fanboy of any other specific vendor. Frankly I'd be just as content if Nintendo pulled a surprise performance and ended up on top for a bit. At least then we could count on clever and interesting software on a regular basis.

In the end you can say what you like, but the point, purpose and intent of this thread was merely to report on what a Senior Engineer from THE most important development tools developer in the industry had to say about the state of current affairs regarding the only two next-gen consoles who've announced any system specifics whatsoever. This isn't a matter of *me* commenting on the issue, though you appear to have enjoyed deluding yourself otherwise and entirely ignored what was reported above.

Have fun with your moment of mental masturbation, OK?

Jason