this method seems to work perfectly for a silent install:

Get the installation files as mentionned and use:

msiexec /i ISScript11.Msi /qb

msiexec /i QuickTime.msi ISSETUPDRIVEN="1" INSTALL_DESKTOP_SHORTCUT="FALSE" /qr

Optional

You can also add a transformation file with this syntax:

TRANSFORMS=xxx.mst

A couple of comments:

1) If you extract and run the MSI from the QuickTimeInst.exe you will not get the IE or Netscape plugins. Also, you will not have any associations created. For example, clicking on a MOV file will not play it.

2) You cannot use QuicktimeInst.exe /vTRANSFORMS=1033.MST as the first MSI to run from the exe is not the QuickTime MSI.

3) The QTPlayerSession.xml has a user path to the Desktop. I am not sure if %UserName% will work here or if those changes will be applied correctly to new profiles.

Edited by MeanGene

Add the following registry entry to disable the taskbar icon. It won't stop it from running after the install but it will stop it from running after restarts.

x32

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apple Computer, Inc.\QuickTime\ActiveX]

"QTTaskRunFlags"=dword:00000002

x64

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Apple Computer, Inc.\QuickTime\ActiveX]

I've been trying to get quicktime 7.1 on my computer, but i get the message that I have to do a silent install with it. The problem is I have no idea what I'm doing. When I read these switches on the forums, I just don't know what I'm supposed to do with them. Does anyone either have an already packaged Quicktime that silently installs, or can explain how to do a silent install, including what to do with the switches. I'm quite confused.

I would VERY much appreciate the help. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me :)

Edited by Derek4jc

The problem is in the MSI file. I have worked on this one a lot and none of my try have worked so far.

What i want to do is to deploy it with GPO with the plugin installed in IE and to disable the icon....

I've been trying to get quicktime 7.1 on my computer, but i get the message that I have to do a silent install with it. The problem is I have no idea what I'm doing. When I read these switches on the forums, I just don't know what I'm supposed to do with them. Does anyone either have an already packaged Quicktime that silently installs, or can explain how to do a silent install, including what to do with the switches. I'm quite confused.

I would VERY much appreciate the help. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me :)

The QuickTimeInstaller is an Installshield type of install that runs MSI's. The typical Installshield command line options are the simplest method in this case. You will have to run QuickTimeInstaller.exe -r -f1 "C:\temp\setup.iss" to create an setup.iss file.

Try: Run %Source%\QuickTimeInstaller.exe /L1033 -s -sms -f1"%Source%\setup.iss" -f2"%SetupLog%\%Title%.log"

I have been testing many of these different methods and I still find that the preferences are over-written by QuickTime when a new user logs on to the machine and runs QuickTime for the first time. Having your prefrence file under the All Users file structure does not help.

It might be useful for those corporate packagers that to remain in compliance with the QuickTime license agreement you must leave the QuickTime icon on the desktop.

Edited by MeanGene

The QuickTimeInstaller is an Installshield type of install that runs MSI's. The typical Installshield command line options are the simplest method in this case. You will have to run QuickTimeInstaller.exe -r -f1 "C:\temp\setup.iss" to create an setup.iss file.

Try: Run %Source%\QuickTimeInstaller.exe /L1033 -s -sms -f1"%Source%\setup.iss" -f2"%SetupLog%\%Title%.log"

Forgive my extreme ignorance (I'm a complete novice at this) but when you say...

it is like you are speaking in another language to me. How would I do that?

• 2 weeks later...

I went to do the -r -f1 C:\temp\setup.iss and was greated by a nice popup from QT stating multiple switches that are allowed as the ones listed here did not work. The below is a switch set that is completely unattended and silent. No registration is entered... But it silently installs!

/S/v/qn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I still have problem with installing quicktime in my unattended cd

I tried /s/v/qn with no success.

I tried the Iss file

this i my code :

In my RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY%\065 /VE /D "Quicktime 7.1" /fREG ADD %KEY%\065 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Quicktime\Install.cmd" /f

(I See my batch file start)

in my Install.cmd

@echo offcmdow @ /HID%systemdrive%\install\Quicktime\QuickTimeInstaller.exe /L1033 -s -sms -f1"c:\install\Quicktime\setup.iss" -f2"c:\setup.log"

When I click on alt + tab I see the install running but when it's completed and I check for it quicktime isn't installed any help ?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Greets!

My first post here...

First, THANKS to all who have generously posted about this QuickTime unattended installation! I've learned much!

After a day of reading here and several other sites, I have finally got a solution that I am happy with and I wanted to post it:

By the way, I am using the latest Quicktime version, 7.4.1.

• I downloaded the latest installer from Apple, opened it with WinRar, and extracted just the QuickTime.msi file.
  • I installed it once, registered it, and set up the preferences the way I like. Specifically unchecked the "Install the QuickTime icon in the system tray."
  • I made a copy of the "QuickTime.qtp", "QuickTime.qts", and "com.apple.QuickTime.plist" files. Next, I completely uninstalled the program, manually removed all Apple registry keys and Apple/Quicktime folders from the C drive.
  • I made a QuickTime.cmd file and added the following:
    ===============
    @ECHO OFF
    msiexec /i QuickTime.msi ISSETUPDRIVEN="1" ALLUSERS=1 REGSRCH_INSTALL_ASU=0 DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS ProductLanguage=1033 /qn /passive
    XCOPY QuickTime.qts "%PROGRAMFILES%\QuickTime\QTSystem\"/s /e /i /y
    XCOPY QuickTime.qtp "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime\"/s /e /i /y
    XCOPY com.apple.QuickTime.plist "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime\"/s /e /i /y
    IF EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES%\QuickTime\QTTASK.EXE" DEL "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTASK.EXE"
    DEL "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\QuickTime\PictureViewer.lnk"
    DEL "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\QuickTime\QuickTime Read Me.lnk"
    DEL "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\QuickTime\Uninstall QuickTime.lnk"
    DEL "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\QuickTime Player.lnk"
    DEL "%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\QuickTime Player.lnk"
    rd "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\start menu\Programs\QuickTime\"/s /q
    regedit /s QuickTime.reg
    EXIT
    ===============
    Yes, i realize some of that may be redundant and not needed, but after a day of doing this, everything worked perfectly and I was honestly tired of troubleshooting!
  • I made a QuickTime.reg file and added the following lines:
    ===============
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "QuickTime Task"=-
    ===============
  • For those of you counting, that makes a total of SIX files needed for this unattended install.
  • This installation shows a progress bar, has no user interaction, does NOT reboot or prompt for reboot, physically deletes the annoying QTTASK.EXE file (for those of you who like this thingy, just remove that line from the cmd file), removes any desktop / START menu icons or groups, and includes all preferences and registration information from the original installation.

I hope this helps somebody.

Again, thanks to all for the contributions, I have borrowed and stolen code from many sources to make this.

Cheers! :rolleyes:

EDIT: CMD and REG files changed as per radix's advice! 8-)

Edited by Daveychan

XCOPY QuickTime.qts "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\"/s /e /i /y

XCOPY QuickTime.qtp "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime\"/s /e /i /y

XCOPY com.apple.QuickTime.plist "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime\"/s /e /i /y

IF EXIST "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTASK.EXE" DEL "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTASK.EXE"

DEL "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\QuickTime\PictureViewer.lnk"

DEL "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\QuickTime\QuickTime Read Me.lnk"

DEL "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\QuickTime\Uninstall QuickTime.lnk"

DEL "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\QuickTime Player.lnk"

DEL "%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\QuickTime Player.lnk"

rd "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\start menu\Programs\QuickTime\"/s /q

regedit /s QuickTime.reg

EXIT

===============

[*] I made a QuickTime.reg file and added the following lines:

===============

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

REG DELETE HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v "QuickTime Task" /f

===============

Thx for your tutorial.

Try to use variable data in your batch files (useful if you install on a different partition).

Examples:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE% C:\Documents and Settings\All Users

%APPDATA% C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data

%PROGRAMFILES% C:\Program Files

%SYSTEMDRIVE% The drive containing the Windows XP root directory, usually C:

%SYSTEMROOT% The Windows XP root directory, usually C:\Windows

%TEMP% and %TMP% C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temp

%USERNAME% {username}

%USERPROFILE% C:\Documents and Settings\{username}

%WINDIR% C:\Windows

Examples for deleting registry keys and registry values:

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apple Computer, Inc.\QuickTime\ActiveX]