Win98 PnP device redetected after GHOSTing image

Power User

sample:

1. install Win98 with all drivers I need.... (infinst.exe method)

2. all good, all device detected...

3. imaging system to GHOST server....

4. loading image from server to other clients...

5. get PnP device detected bla-bla-bla - press NEXT, after that i can choose from where take updated driver or click NEXT for use current....

BUT I don't need new or updated - i need currnet driver it's work well and not need any file add to system... so i click NEXT NEXT FINISH and it's loaded or ask about reboot....

it's happened for sample if i send image to 2 same computers with various monitor (get "PnP Standard Monitor" message) or same LAN card in differend PCI slot...

ofcose if system one same as two i don't get any message....

goal: GHOSTing ONE image to many computers with differend configuration...

it's work - don't have any problem with drivers, only i need click NEXT NEXT FINISH on computers with differend configuraytion :((((

Edited by Power User

The problem is caused by Windows detecting different PnP IDs on each computer. The only method that *MIGHT* work is if you can import the registry entries containing the correct PnP IDs into your image. Unfortunately you would need to do this for every hardware variation. The only other solution is to ensure that your hardware is identical in every way (this includes BIOS versions and settings, location of PCI cards even the model of USB mouse you use).

If anyone has a better way to get around this problem I would be glad to hear it.

Possibly using Microsoft's Preptool (search the forum for the dl link) before imaging will get you the nearest to it.

What it theoretically does is that it removes all installed hardware.

You basically should find yourself at the first run on the the target machine at hardware pnp detection while not having lost any OS or software settings.

If you've got the all drivers needed by all your target machines at the right place in your image then it should be possibly only a matter of rebooting once on each target machine to have the whole system properly installed.