Making a New Unattended CD

Hello People,

I am not a novice when the term Computer is put in front, but a first timer to making an unattended CD.

I know a lot of you would be having this is mind....

So why doesnt he go to unattended.msfn.org
or
This site has a nice Search feature and also Google is the best

Yes it is true. Moreover i have the Unattended CD Guide in .pdf. format.

But the problem is, there are at least 50-60 posts in each thread i visit, with some BIG problems. And the website or the guide does not tell me what i need to know.

So please help me out, tell me how to do the things i want to do.

Please, if you can, dont:-

1)Give me a link to the solution, which in turn requires 10-12 more links to be clicked just to forget what i was looking for.

2)Bash me, i am as eager to use the featuresas you were.

3)Use the-very-much-technical-terms.

All i need to know is:-

1)If i use an nLite'd CD, will it let me create paritions? If yes, then is it by default or I need some other files or settings in some existing files?

2)How do i create custom Installation screen? Like the screen which says "TRY THE BEST AND FASTEST WINDOWS EVER WITH THIS AND THAT SUPPORT" and comes up in a blue color while installation is in tprocess. Is it possible? If yes, then Do tell me the ways to do it. I need to place a JPEG file instead of that stupid thing.

3)Can an nLite'd CD repair a corrupt windows as well?

It wud be highly appreciated if you give me the links to the already customised files for the Questions above.

Thanks,

The Rock

1) I think so...normally you setup the partitions in the text mode setup. The unattended nature of this all normally will only take place after the text mode. But watch out, there are some settings that can be entered in your *.sif that may be getting in the way. You should post your *.sif file so we can take a look...don't forget to blank out the CDKEY.

2) I've never done this myself, and I know you don't want a link to links...but there is a sub-forum here dedicated just for this function. At the least you can root around and see what you can find:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=92

3) I don't know...I don't think so. But hopefully someone else will prove me wrong. Normally when I make an unattended, I'll through a vanilla copy of the OS on just for this reason. This will require you to get dirty with multi-boot CD's, Boot Menu's, and CDimage.exe. An excellent guide is the Multi-Boot DVD guide...you can use these same tactics to make a multi-boot CD.

http://flyakite.msfnhosting.com/

Edited by InTheWayBoy

Here's my *.sif for reference:

[Data]
MSDOSInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"
AutoPartition="0"
AutomaticUpdates="Yes"

[Unattended]
DUDisable="Yes"
UnattendMode="FullUnattended"
UnattendSwitch="Yes"
OemPreinstall="Yes"
FileSystem="*"
Repartition="No"
TargetPath="\WINDOWS"
OemSkipEula="Yes"
WaitForReboot="No"
DriverSigningPolicy="Ignore"
NonDriverSigningPolicy="Ignore"
;OEMPnPDriversPath=""

[UserData]
ProductKey=""
FullName="NAME"
OrgName="COMPANY"
ComputerName="TEMP"

[GuiUnattended]
OemSkipWelcome="1"
OemSkipRegional="1"
TimeZone="035"
AdminPassword="*"
;Autologon="Yes"
;AutoLogonCount="1"

[GuiRunOnce]
"C:\Install\WPI.CMD"

[Display]
AutoConfirm="1"
BitsPerPel="32"
XResolution="800"
YResolution="600"
VRefresh="75"

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents="Yes"

[Components]
msmsgs="Off"
msnexplr="Off"
indexsrv_system="Off"
fax="On"
OEAccess="Off"

[WindowsFirewall]
Profiles="WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall"

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]
Mode="0"

With that, I still have to manually partition the computer in the text mode, but after that it's all unattended.

Thanks InTheWayBoy for your concern.

But herein lies the problem.

1) I think so...normally you setup the partitions in the text mode setup. The unattended nature of this all normally will only take place after the text mode. But watch out, there are some settings that can be entered in your *.sif that may be getting in the way. You should post your *.sif file so we can take a look...don't forget to blank out the CDKEY.

Wudnt it better if you could tell me how to open the .sif file, where to find it (i used the search function), where to put the text?

As far as i am concerned, i think i should open it with a word-editor, copy the text at the bottom, and replace the file in the CD-To-Be-Made with this file.

Am I Right? You thought i already had a .sif file which is giving me problems?Or will this file be made after i create an nLite'd CD ISO and edit it before the burning process.

I know this is asking too much.

I just know how to CHECK BOXES > NEXT> REMOVE > INTEGRATE thing. Which is in the GUI.

Anyways, Thanks,

The Rock

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
   AutoPartition=0
   MsDosInitiated="0"
;   floppyless="1"
;   UseSignatures="yes"
;   EulaComplete="1"
   winntupgrade="no"
   win9xupgrade="no"
   UnattendedInstall="Yes"
   AutomaticUpdates=yes

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   DisableDynamicUpdates=Yes
   DUDisable=Yes
   AutoActivate=No
   Repartition=No
   FileSystem=*
   Hibernation=Yes
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPreinstall=Yes
;   OemFilesPath=.\OEM
   TargetPath=\WINDOWS
   UnattendSwitch=Yes
   NTUpgrade=No
   Win9xUpgrade=No
   WaitForReboot="No"
   DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
;   NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
   OemPnPDriversPath=windows\PnPdrvrs\vmware;windows\PnPdrvrs\gfx\i810_815;windows\PnPdrvrs\gfx\i845_865;windows\PnPdrvrs\gfx\nVidia;windows\PnPdrvrs\gfx\ATi;windows\PnPdrvrs\gfx\ATi\WDM;windows\PnPdrvrs\gfx\S3;windows\PnPdrvrs\aud\i-8xx;windows\PnPdrvrs\aud\Creative;windows\PnPdrvrs\aud\VIA1;windows\PnPdrvrs\aud\VIA2;windows\PnPdrvrs\RTL8139;windows\PnPdrvrs\VIA-k7;windows\PnPdrvrs\753s;windows\PnPdrvrs\CM;windows\PnPdrvrs\nF\IO;windows\PnPdrvrs\nF\Ethernet;windows\PnPdrvrs\nF\Ethernet\PreNRM;windows\PnPdrvrs\nF\AudioDrv;windows\PnPdrvrs\nF\IDE

[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword="blankedout"
   EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
   OemSkipWelcome=1
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=190
;   AutoLogon=Yes
;   AutoLogonCount=5
;   ProfilesDir="%SYSTEMROOT%\Profiles"
   DetachedProgram="%systemroot%\PnPdrvrs.exe"
   Arguments="-y /q /r:n"

[UserData]
   ProductKey=removed
;   productid="removed"
   FullName="The Rock"
   OrgName="WWE"
   ComputerName=POWERPC

[Display]
   XResolution=800
   YResolution=600
   BitsPerPel=16
   VRefresh=60
   AutoConfirm=1
   ConfigureAtLogon=1

[TapiLocation]
   CountryCode=91
   Dialing=Tone
   AreaCode=080

[RegionalSettings]
   LanguageGroup=15,1
   SystemLocale=00000409
   UserLocale=00000409
   InputLocale=0409:00000409

[Branding]
   BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[URL]
   AutoConfig=1
   Home_Page=about:blank
   Search_Page=http://www.google.com
   Help_Page=http://www.microsoft.com
   Quick_Link_1_Name = "Microsoft HomePage"
   Quick_Link_1 = http://www.microsoft.com
   Quick_Link_2_Name = "Search on the Internet"
   Quick_Link_2 = http://www.google.com

[Identification]
   JoinWorkgroup=LAN

[Networking]
   InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

;[params.adapter1]
;   ConnectionName="LAN"

[Components]
   Fax=off
   p2p=off
   chat=off
   upnp=off
;   oobe=off
;   paint=on
;   icfv6=on
   msmsgs=on
   WMPOCM=off
   msnexplr=off
   OEAccess=off
   IEAccess=off
;   WMAccess=off
   IEHardenUser=On
   IEHardenAdmin=On
   TerminalServer=off
   IndexSrv_System=off
   Games=on
   hearts=on
   spider=on
   Pinball=on
   freecell=on
   solitaire=on
   ZoneGames=on
;   mswordpad=on
   minesweeper=on

;[IEPopupBlocker]
;   AllowedSites =
;   BlockPopups = Yes
;   FilterLevel = Medium
;   ShowInformationBar = Yes

[SystemFileProtection]
;   SFCScan=0
;   SFCDisable=2
;   SFCDllCacheDir = %SYSTEMROOT%\Windows\System32\Dllcache
;   quota in hex below is (=50M) ;FFFFFFFF (=0M)
   SFCQuota=0x14
   SFCShowProgress=1

[SystemRestore]
   CheckpointCalendarFrequency=2
   CheckpointSessionFrequency=10
   MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk=5
   RestorePointLife=30

[PCHealth]
   ER_Display_UI=0
   ER_Enable_Applications=None
   ER_Enable_Kernel_Error= 1
   ER_Enable_Reporting=0
   ER_Enable_Windows_Components=0
   ER_Exclude_EXE1=notepad.exe
   ER_Include_MSApps=0
   ER_Include_Shutdown_Errs=0
   RA_AllowFullControl=0
   RA_AllowToGetHelp=0
   RA_AllowUnsolicited=0
;   RA_MaxTicketExpiry=600

[SetupParams]
  skipmissingfiles=yes
  optionaldirs="I386\function"
  userexecute="CMD.exe /C %systemroot%\I386\function\setupp.cmd"

[Shell]
  CustomDefaultThemeFile="%systemroot%\Resources\Themes\XP Media Center Edition 2005.Theme"
  DefaultStartPanelOff=No
  DefaultThemesOff=No

;[OobeProxy]
;  Enable=1
;  Flags=9
;  Autodiscovery_Flag=0

[GuiRunOnce]
  %systemroot%\temp\eXPlode\GUIinst.exe

This is a .sif file sent to me by a friend of mine. Please see if there is a problem. Also tell me where to put it prior to the CD Burning.

Thanks.

Yeah, you should really check out the guide a little more...a *.sif is a simple text document that you can open with a text editor. This file, once configured, is usually placed in the I386 directory. I believe nlite will make this for you automatically, but I usually like to manually tweak it.

The file your friend sent you looks okay, but it references a lot of items that you probably don't have on your CD. This will most likely cause a problem. Of course, if you just used mine you would have a similar problem, in that I use WPI to complete my unattended.

Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead...sadly there are no easy and effective programs that solve all the problems. In fact nlite is only a piece of the puzzle by most accounts. If you really get into this like most of the memeber here, you'll find that you really never learn it all...it's just a continuing lesson. I would recommond starting from scratch and trying just a simple unattended setup by hand, then progress into the more advanced things like stripping aways features and adding tweaks and applications. If you can't get the regular unattended down, then you'll always be tripping over that with every other function you try to add.

for question 1 :-

creation of Partition depend upon the winnt.sif u created
for question 2 :-
Setup screen can be changed by reshacking the strings of winntbbu.dll

for question 3 :-

Repair ? what do u call repair,,

Recovery console ,, Recovery console is disabled in unattended but u can activate pressing F10 when prompt for pressing F6 to load driver

I think these all queries has been already posted,, try searching honestly, I have gone through those posts.......

Edited by Nepali

hi...i'm still fairly new to all this ,

if you go to the unattened cd web site (or your .pdf you copied)and go to Advanced Users...Cosmetics...Set up Billboard, that will show you how to do the screens from you second question

i've tryied it a couple of times and it gets a bit confusing .

i've never used nlite , i think doing it the manual way you learn more of what's going on...maybe you should try that.

1)If i use an nLite'd CD, will it let me create paritions? If yes, then is it by default or I need some other files or settings in some existing files?
If you use the nLited CD, and under Unattended Setup select "Full Unattended", you will still get the initial option of configuring your partitions. This is the way that I start all of my UACDs.
2)How do i create custom Installation screen? Like the screen which says "TRY THE BEST AND FASTEST WINDOWS EVER WITH THIS AND THAT SUPPORT" and comes up in a blue color while installation is in tprocess. Is it possible? If yes, then Do tell me the ways to do it. I need to place a JPEG file instead of that stupid thing.
As InTheWayBoy said, the Setup Billboards section of the forum is the first place to look for the custom installation screens. Before you ask, there is no way of changing the blue and grey colors of the text setup screen (where you select your partitions). The WinntbbuED program is very helpful for modifying the setup screen. With it, you're just a point and click away from using your own BMP for the background (you need BMPs, not JPG - convert them with MSPaint and you'll be fine).

Another alternative is to use Reshacker. It's a little more "hardcore" but you can get pretty much exactly what you want from it.

3)Can an nLite'd CD repair a corrupt windows as well?

AFAIK, an nLited CD can repair an nLited install. You (obviously) cannot restore a full XP installation with a bare-bones nLited CD.

@vakhal - Doing things manually is a lot more difficult. People often learn from examples. By using programs and tools, and then looking at the "before and after" files, it's easy to see where the changes have to be made in the future.

@Nepali

Repair ? what do u call repair,,

Recovery console ,, Recovery console is disabled in unattended but u can activate pressing F10 when prompt for pressing F6 to load driver

I think repair is when you replace some files and SFC asks you to put the CD in the ROM.
I think these all queries has been already posted,, try searching honestly,, don't lie. I have gone through those posts.......

Well had you been taught to read English as good as you are writing it, you would have read my first post.

But the problem is, there are at least 50-60 posts in each thread i visit, with some BIG problems. And the website or the guide does not tell me what i need to know.

I went through all of them but it was h ard for me to understand as it is hard for you to understand MY PROBLEM.

And what do you make out of this:--

untitled0hg.jpg

I dont mean to disrespect you, for all your time to tell me things, but instead to telling me things to do, you should have read the post first. Sorry for being annoying.

@Zxian

Thanks mate, i will try using the Billboard thing.

Thanks to all,

The Rock

Edited by The Rock

In regards to you repair question...if you are looking to use the SFC thing, then an nlite install probably won't work if you have removed components. Now a Repair Install, or as M$ calls it an "In Place Upgrade" is different...that's when you basically reload Windows over itself, saving the registry and files. This too probably won't be doable with an nlite install...unless the source install was the same nlite install.

Also, Resource Hacker is another good program to do what you need in regards to editing the Setup Screens.