Problem in "ME"

raven_214

i have this pc and ME-OS installed. before it was running fine, but when i try to install LAN Card, for me to connect to a network, it just instantly hanged. by default when you turned-on the power, it will display on a bios boot-up right? then it will proceed on the windows boot. but like what i have said, it just instantly hanged, only up to the bios boot-up and never proceed to windows never shows any activity of the pc anymore.

can you give me an idea what is happening on my pc? i do consider that the OS maybe corrupted so i try to re-install a new OS which is W98SE, but when i try to insert my bootable disk, the same problem still occurs, HANGED!

is there any other way that i can work around on my pc and use it again?

need your support IT Pros out there..... :hello:

raven_214 :unsure::yes:

That's definately not a windows problem. Sounds like a bios problem to me, most likely WinMe was still intacked. I'd say that your LAN card and your motherboard are incompatible with one another, but I don't know for sure. I've heard of ME doing some crazy things, but I highly doubt it's at fault here.

I used to have that "hang" during the boot of 98 because of my LAN card, it only happened when the card was unable to set itself a viable IP (When my cable modem could not stablish connection and could not offer the LAN card a IP or good connection to the device) but it would always hang with a good connection or not, It's been always common to me.

That problem you're having with the motherboard I can't help there..

i also did try to reset cmos... and still... well perhaps i do have real problem with my board... *sighs*...

anyways....tnx a lot guys for your help and suggestions.... hope to hear more from your expertise on my future IT Problems...

raven_214 =)

I used to have that problem with 98 trying to find an IP address. It became a real pain because using 98se on a wireless network took FOREVER to find an IP. I'm talking like 3.5 minute boot time! Then I discovered static IP addresses, and my problems were solved! But LAN cards, for some reason, seem to slow down all 9x OS's during bootup no matter what.

Remove the lan card

Remove all power from the system.

Reset the CMOS....if you can't find the reset jumpers, just remove the battery for about a half hour and then replace it and try to boot up again.

Never put the lan card in slot #1 on the mobo. Try slot 3 or above.

Keep us appraised as to how you're doing.

Cheers,

Andromeda43