You are running low on disk space...

HyperHacker

Is there any way to stop those "You are running out of disk space on drive blah:\" messages coming up on certain drives? I'd like to know when my primary storage partition is getting full, but I often fill smaller partitions with backups and copies and such. I really don't need to know when they're full because I never really use them except for backups so I keep track myself. So can this be disabled? (If need be, I wouldn't mind disabling it for all drives, but I'd prefer to keep it enabled for one or two.)

Got a couple more things I'd like to tweak, as long as I'm here.

1) Those shortcuts at the side of Open and Save dialogs, like Recent Documents and so on. I want to point them to locations I actually use.

2) Pre-programmed hotkeys. If I press one of the multimedia keys on my keyboard, it opens Calculator, another opens Notepad, etc... I want to disable that so I can write my own hotkey program.

3) If possible, treat shortcuts as directories rather than files. If I want to save something, by default it usually starts on the desktop. I have shortcuts to various places there but if I click them, it doesn't let me save in the directory they point to; instead it asks if I want to overwrite the shortcut file.

1. How to customize the My Places bar

3. Instead of having shortcuts on your desktop, you could make hardlinks to the folders.

Linkd.exe is in the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools (it's also in the Win2000 resource kit but that ones not free)

Example

cd desktop
md Downloads
linkd downloads c:\downloads
Link created at: downloads

Now the 'Downloads' folder on the desktop looks and acts just like a regular folder, except the contents of it are actually the files/folders inside C:\Downloads. If you save/delete/alter anything in it the changes will actually be in the target folder.

For #1), the method that nakira linked to works... but gosh NO! Download and install TweakUI. It's got a setting in there for the Places Bar. That way, you'll never run the risk of messing up the registry.

@HyperHacker - Look at TweakUI under Common Dialogs->Places Bar. That's what you want to change to make it customized.

To simply answer your question, when you open the hardlinked folder on your desktop, in the address bar, you will see C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Desktop\Folder even though the files are stored in C:\Folder (or wherever you have linked them to).

You have to create the keys, if they don't exist the default places are used.

Here's an example

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ComDlg32\Placesbar]
"Place0"=dword:00000000
"Place1"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,44,00,72,00,69,00,76,\
 00,65,00,25,00,5c,00,00,00
"Place2"="D:\\"
"Place3"="E:\\"
"Place4"=dword:00000011

Where

"Place0" is Desktop

"Place1" is %systemdrive%\

"Place2" is D:\

"Place3" is E:\

"Place4" is My Computer

Most all defaults are stored in the registry, someplace.

If you can find it......you can change it.

Just search the registry for what you want to change.

Like, you can change the registered users' name.

If the old users' name was "Joe Schmoe" for instance, search for the whole name and then search again for just "Joe" and then for just "Schmoe".

:whistle: