windows 2000 server

angel0104

Yes windows 2000 Server does support hyperthreading, I've tried it. A P4 with HT shows up as two processors in taskmanager. A dual P4 with HT shows up as four processors in taskmanager. However, if you run a program that doesn't support HT, it will only use half the CPU. Therefore, if you require some pretty demanding programs which dont support HT, then you would be better off by disabling HT in the BIOS which will enable the full CPU to be used for your apps.

Windows 2000 Pro supports up to two processors, therefore I assume it will happily run HT.

As for converting server into pro using that program which we shouldn't be talking about in here, yes it should still support HT seeing as both OS's support HT (I think?) anyway.

If you upgrade your processor or upgrade from a prevoiuos os I believe you have to do some kind of special install/upgrade. It has something to do with the hal dll file. Does anyopne else know about this?

@At0mic

Thanks for the info. I wasn't not aware that anything pre-XP could support HT. That's a real helpper.

Thanks again

HT allows software to treat a single CPU as two CPU's so in theory, if a piece of software supports SMP, then it should support HT. Even windows NT could probably use HT.

However, "anything pre-XP" isn't optimized for HT. HT will be much better on XP or 2003.